Chapter I - The Pull

Everything was burning. Everything. The forest I used to play in, the school I used to go to, and the home I used to live in. Everything. All burning to the ground. And pretty soon, the entire planet will have burned as well.

I could feel it. I could feel everything. The animals suffocating, the plants dying, the people suffering. I felt everything. And what they felt, somehow I was connected. Like I was being pulled to the core. I couldn't move. I was standing rooted to the spot in front of my own home that was currently burning to the ground.

"Paige!"

I turned and saw my father, terrified, running towards me, holding his unfinished lightsaber. We knew this day would come. This slaughter on our planet. We just didn't know it would come so soon. He was not a Jedi. He was a very skilled inventor and a very experienced hacker. He had no business with Jedi, yet he had knowledge about them. He studied them all his life.

"Paige we have to go" he told me, grabbing my shoulders, snapping me out of my trance.

I quickly recovered and followed my father as we ran through the burning mess.

"Where are we going?" I yelled through the screams and shoots by the stormtroopers.

"We're leaving!" He answered.

"How?"

He didn't answer.

We circled around the forest until he found the ship the First Order had sent to terrorize the planet.

What was he thinking leading us here?

We hid behind the trees as he led us closer and closer.

"They're loading the weapon." He murmured.

"Then we'll be destroyed."

He turned to me as I said it.

"That thing destroys planets, dad. We can't do anything."

The expression on his face was one of sadness as he looked at me. He clutched his lightsaber closer to his chest.

"I want you to promise me something."

I analyzed him when he said this. What was he planning?

"Do exactly as I say when we move on from this spot."

"What are you planning, dad?"

"Promise me, Paige."

There was nothing else I could do but nod.

He smiled at me. That genuine smile he always gave me after scolding me whenever I got into trouble.

"I need you to focus, Paige. I know you have it in you."

I still did not know what my father was talking about whenever he said I had this some sort of special power. I'm not a very talented person, and the thought of me having a special power would be mad.

Without warning he took off. I quickly followed suit. We ran through the bullets and the fire. My dad was not looking back and so was I. I couldn't risk losing sight of him. Anything could happen especially when we here in target range of anything. Somehow we made it through the rubble and got to the foot of the ship. Surprisingly enough, no one was guarding the entrance. It was just there.

Dad ran up and motioned for me to follow. And I did. Suddenly a laser beam shot through us. We'd been found. My heartbeat, already quick, was hastened even more if that was possible. I could die any minute. My dad could die any minute. What was he thinking just barging in one of the First Order's ships?

We turned a corner. We didn't even know where we were going. We didn't know anything about this ship. We just ran deeper inside of it. Suddenly, I was shot in the thigh.

Shit

I fell to the floor.

"Dad!"

He turned and found me bleeding in the middle of the hallway, the stormtroopers were right behind us, running.

He looked at me, then the stormtroopers simultaneously. Then with a determined look in his eyes, he went to me and carried me. His adrenaline rush probably giving him enough strength to lift me up and then bolt ahead again. Beams of light from the blasters were being shot all around us. Alarms were being sounded. This was it. We would be found soon enough. And my thigh was bleeding me dry. He might as well just leave me here and run and hide for himself.

"Dad, please!"

Tears were streaming down my face now. He turned another corner and managed to lose the stormtroopers. He gently dropped me to the floor and worked on bandaging my thigh with a piece of cloth he ripped from his shirt. He wrapped it quite tightly. No more blood was coming out.

"Dad, we can't stay."

"I know, sweet."

"Dad, please, just go. Save yourself."

He looked at me and when he saw that I was crying he started tearing up as well. We were hopeless.

"Dad, please. You still have a chance. Just go. Please."

I was pushing him now. Trying to get him to go and just leave me here. I would be a great distraction. I'll just limp by the corridor. Suddenly his eyes were determined again and everything that happened next had happened so fast, I couldn't react. He had found some sort of door. Being the inventor and tinkler he was, he easily and quickly hacked it open and shoved me inside the dark room.

I thought he would go inside with me.

I thought we would escape together.

But I thought wrong.

He gave me his unfinished lightsaber and hugged me tight.

"The force is with you, Paige. I know it. You'll make me proud."

I cried. He kissed my forehead and shut the metal doors. The last thing I heard was his voice yelling "I'M HERE!". And the sound of blasters being shot.

I screamed.

I didn't care if they heard me. I didn't care if they came in and killed me on the spot. They killed my dad. They killed him. I had no one now. I am no one.

The room I was in was dark. Very dark. As my eyes adjusted to it I noticed it was some sort of bedroom. What made me realize that was the fact that the only thing I could visualize in the darkness was a huge bed in the far end of the room. I didn't know what else to do. So I ran towards it and sat on the floor, leaning back on it. I cried, clutching the lightsaber close to my chest, I cried until I had no more tears left. I didn't know how long I had been there until I felt the entire ship rumbling.

We were taking off. We were leaving. Any minute now the planet would be destroyed. And I was left here, crying beside a stranger's bed. Soon the person that stayed here would probably find me and kill me.

I covered my head with my hands and forced myself to stop crying. Then I stopped and closed my eyes.

I felt weird.

I felt like I could feel everything. Everything. Everything around me felt so close. Every cell in my body, I could feel. I could hear things.

Am I going mad?

Whatever was happening, I admit, I liked it. It was relaxing somehow. Was this meditation?

What is this?

I stayed that way for God knows how long. I didn't even notice that I had positioned myself in such a way that I was cross-legged and my palms on my knees.

I remember my father saying this was one of the things the Jedi did. What am I doing? I am no Jedi. I am no one.

Then I sensed it. I sensed something. Someone. Coming closer. He or she I did not know. All I knew was it was coming near this place. Near this room. Was this the owner? It was moving closer and closer, and I felt it just behind the door.

Snapping out of my trance, I grabbed the lightsaber off the floor and hid under the bed.

The door opened.