Chapter 21 - Mr. Brightside

One day ago

General Hux marched back up the cockpit and watched as the girl he had grown to care for walked alongside the man he loathed. His heart ached in resentment. Why? Why didn't he possess the power to wield the force? He was a talented man, that was no question. Intimidating, yes. Charismatic, a person of authority, and, from what others said, he was quite the charmer. Then why. Why did the one thing he'd always thought not mattered to have, be the one that drove him and his girl apart? Why couldn't he stay close to her as Ren was? Why wasn't he good enough? And does she think that as well? Does she think he's not good enough for her?

He ran his hand down his face, sighing loudly. Walking back, he sat on the chair Paige seated on earlier. 

Slowly, his eyes started drooping, until he finally fell asleep...

The general jostled awake in the middle of the night as a beeping and buzzing sounded around the cockpit. And that only meant one thing.

He nervously stood and walked towards the bright button lighting up on the control pad. As he pushed it, a giant hologram of the supreme leader appeared in the room. Hux gulped.

"General Hux" Snoke acknowledged.

"Supreme Leader" Hux replied.

"Have the two embarked on their mission?"

Hux nodded in response.

"Good, good. This shouldn't take long. The cave in the middle of the planet is not far from here."

Hux's jaw clenched. He never knew why Snoke sent them here on this desolated planet. They were off the grid, and he had no records of this place.

"You look troubled, General." Snoke sneered.

Hux gave him no response this time. Instead, swallowed a lump in his throat.

"Is this about the girl?" 

This caught the general's attention and his eyes gave off a worried expression.

"I suggest you not worry about her, Hux. She must not get in the way of your duty."  Snoke stated.

Hux's eyes moved from the hologram to the ground. He couldn't hide anything from their supreme leader. What more could he do?

"This mission... this test... should they fail to bring me that crystal... one of them shall be of no use to me. When that happens, only one will survive."

Hux's eyes furrowed.

"Is this supposed to be her test, supreme leader?"

Snoke laughed a sinister laugh.

 "It is for the both of them. They've had too much combat in them, it is time for the test of wits." 

Hux did not understand. What did Snoke mean? Were they going to kill each other?

"If they fail... If she fails... she will be of no use to us." Snoke continued.

"She won't, supreme leader." Hux spoke up.

"Confidence, ha!" Snoke laughed again "And where is this coming from, General? Do you care for her?"

Hux clenched his jaw, but remained silent. He felt a pain in the back of his mind.

"You do"  

Hux stood his ground and maintained eye contact with the hologram, if he was being exposed, he was going to take it as a man.

"General... oh my General..." Snoke laughed.

Hux furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"I wonder, how you would feel, if I showed you the events taking place as of this very moment, hm?"