Chapter 22 - Easy Come Easy Go

***

"The both of you have destroyed an entire planet! Wiped it off the face of the universe just like that! You showed disobedience to the sacred laws of the planet and deliberately let it erupt into ashes and flames right under your noses!"

To say Snoke was mad would be an understatement. He was absolutely furious. Both Kylo and I stood before him at the foot of his throne, our heads bowed in shame. Kylo didn't even get a chance to recover from his wounds yet. In fact, right after our landing, the both of us were ordered to immediately report to Snoke. When I turned back to look at the ship, it was being wheeled away for repairs or checkups. Hux was nowehere to be seen. I had spent the night with him on that ship and when I awoke, a few hours later, he was announcing our arrival. He had been keeping distance from me since that night. I wonder why.

Did I scare him off?

I was snapped out of my thoughts as I suddenly heard laughter. And not just any laughter. Supreme Leader Snoke's laughter. I was so tempted to look up, raise my head and see if it was truly him and not my ears messing with me. But, then again, no one could mistake that laugh. That cold, sinister, emotionless echo of a laugh that resounded in the room, bouncing off the walls.

"Apprentices, well done."

That's when I looked up. And I turned my head to find that Kylo had done the same.

"That planet was a wasteland to other's eyes. Only I saw it's true potential and power. People have been warned not to travel there, for you risk a terrible price. A sacrifice."

My jaw clenched as I learned more. He was truly a cruel leader. Little did I know that this was just the tip of the iceberg.

"I brought you there, serving it as a lesson, and a test. The both of you have shown great skill and talent in combat. But could you be cunning? Yes, that was the ultimate question indeed. Could you read between the lines I laid out for you?"

I suddenly realized that Kylo wasn't really using his wits back then. He was being submissive to the rules of the planet. And right now, I feared for the consequence. At the same time, I was afraid. Why did I do what Snoke expected and wished for us to do?

"Master of the knights of Ren"

Kylo stepped forward.

"You... disappointed me."

There it was. I couldn't look. I didn't want to know what Snoke was going to do. Will he punish him? Or was this punishment enough?

"I'm sorry, supreme leader." Kylo said, his robotic voice echoing around. His mask did well to hide any emotion, if there were any.

"Girl"

Well, that was fast.

I stepped forward and Kylo stepped back.

"Only you showed true wit during the test. And for that, I deem you worthy of my tutelage. A true disciple of the dark side always knows the importance of outsmarting the lowly people. I aimed to teach the others a lesson. They closed off the planet which held one of the most powerful crystals that existed. And now, I have taken it from them. And destroyed it! We shall see who misses it first."

After a long pause, he added:

"Well done, girl."

I felt Kylo watching me, but I didn't want to look at him right now. I was scared.

"And now, I name you my apprentice. The both of you shall be working under my watchful eye, and you will do well to remind me you're worthy of this."