Chapter 19 - A Long Night

"And for what reason did the supreme leader send a person with no ability of wielding the force to this mission?"

"Surveillance. You see, Ren," Hux took a step forward as he continued "you're... incapable of training another while you're in the midst of your own training. The supreme leader took it upon himself to send me, a proven disciplinarian, to watch over the both of you. And before you rebut in spite, I'll reassure that I can handle the both of you, I am the general of the First Order. Nevertheless, of course, this is still your mission."

Ren scowled then walked back to the cockpit, leaving Hux and me alone.

Hux sighed, his eyes finally meeting mine. I felt the room heat up, or was that just me?

"Paige" he whispered.

I rushed to him and hugged him. I didn't know why, but I was relieved to have him here. I felt his hand move to the small of my back, rubbing gently.

"Did Snoke really send you?" I asked.

He didn't answer me verbally, but I felt him nod. I did not know whether to feel relieved or scared that he came here with us, he was deliberately putting himself in danger by tagging along this mission with us. And I still don't know why I care for this man. I mean, yes, he took me out of harm's way and made me escape the ship in a selfless act on his own, but... he was the general of the first order as he bluntly put it earlier. Yet still I find myself being pulled to him, like there was some sort of magnet between us, no matter how far apart we got, he'd still make it there. He'd find me. 

Why do I care?

I leaned my head up and looked him in the eye.

"Hux, go back to the base." I said.

He was taken aback by the request.

"No" he simply stated.

"Hux, this mission is going to be dangerous, I know it." I pulled away slowly and walked around the room he was in. The words I said next, may have been the truest and yet stupidest I have ever spoken.

"I... I can't afford to lose you."

His footsteps echoed around the room as he followed me, stopping just behind my back.

I was expecting an answer, a snarky comment, maybe. I did not expect strong arms embracing me from behind, taking my breath away by surprise. I leaned into his touch, feeling him inhale my scent and I sighed. This felt good. But, could I trust it? Could I trust either of them? Hux or Ren?

"You won't." He whispered.

I pulled away from his embrace, every fiber of my being begging me to come back to him, but I mustered up all my willpower and looked him in the eye instead.

"Hux..."

That was all I managed to say when the ship suddenly shook. Did we land already? I wanted to keep Hux with me in this room. I wanted us to stay together. But, of course we couldn't. He immediately walked away from me and marched towards the cockpit where Ren was, I followed shortly afterwards.

"What was that?" The general hissed.

"I'm sorry if that caused you any inconvenience, but we're about to land, and I plan on doing it swiftly." Ren retorted.

I rolled my eyes as they continued bantering and strapped myself down on the chair I was previously seated on before. I held on tight and waited as Ren landed the plane none too gently on a rocky platform. After the smoke cleared from the front, we finally had a clear view of the planet. Wherever we were.