Chapter Two- The Letter

"I need more drinks for table three!" I shouted into the kitchen. "C'mon, c'mon! Hurry up you lazy bums!"

I looked around, people seemed to be getting impatient. I nervously tapped my foot on the ground.

"Well you sure do seem stressed." Said a voice behind me. I turned around, it was King Dice, In his obnoxiously purple suit and tie.

"Oh no..." I said sarcastically. "I'm just fine!"

Dice rolled his eyes. "Do you need help?" He asked, stepping towards me.

"NO. I do not need your help." I replied, stern.

I looked back into the kitchen, where on the table in the center, a tray full of mugs of beer at been sitting. "Finally." I muttered. I picked it up and speed-walked to table three. I placed the tray on the table and walked back to the bar. I noticed Dice had still been giving me a blank stare. I stared back at him for a moment.

"What?" I said.

He shook his head and blinked. "Oh, uh, nothing. Sorry." He said, and walked away.

I smiled at him, blushing. he didn't notice. Thank god.

The rest of the day was a pretty normal work day. Stressful, loud, and over all, terrible. Yup. Just a normal day.

Until around noon. That's when it all went downhill at full speed.

I was downstairs in the basement, entertaining myself with the only things I had- a sketchbook and a few number two pencils. I was sketching the body of a dragon, when I heard the basement door swing open. I then heard footsteps running downstairs.

It was Dice, he was holding a letter in his hand. His bow tie was loose and unraveled, and he looked like a nervous wreck.

"Cannikin, I..." He noticed my sketchbook. "Oh... uh, you seem busy..."

I stood up. "No, no its fine. Who's the letter for?"

"It's for... you." He said, handing the letter to me. He swallowed.

I took it and looked at it for a moment. It was a light pink, it looked like it had been opened and glued closed multiple times.

I began to delicately open the letter, but when I looked back up at Dice, he was gone.

I continued opening the letter. I pulled out a folded, cream-colored paper and unfolded it.

Inside was a note written in beautiful cursive handwriting. I read it quietly to myself...

Dearest Cannikin,

I apologize that I couldn't tell you this face-to-face. I guess I'm just not very good at "confessing" to things in person. The truth is, I've had my eye on you for a little while now. You're a very... interesting woman to say the least. When you first "arrived" at the casino, I had my doubts about you, and I could tell that you didn't quite trust me. But I'd say we've gotten quite familiar with each other over the years, and I think it's time I say something. I want to be more than just friends with you, Cannikin. I don't know how else to say it. What worries me the most is the boss finding out, but I refuse to let him stop how I really feel for you.

Sincerely, King Dice

I felt my face heat up.

"Is... is he serious?" I thought to myself. Desperate for answers, I turned the paper over to see if there was anything on the back.

"Meet me in the gambling area after work tomorrow" It said.

I tucked the letter into my pocket and took a moment to ponder on what was happening.

"He... loves me?" I whispered.

"But... why me?"