Chapter Twelve- The Truth (Dice's P.O.V)

I fell back as Cannikin suddenly dropped into my arms, her body went completely limp. The Devil turned from his conversation with Mr. Wheezy. Cuphead and Mugman ran up to Cannikin in worry.

"Wa- Cannikin?" I stuttered.

I fell onto my knees as I held her, her head still resting on my shoulder. I noticed her back. Her clothes were torn and the scratches on her spine leaked blood onto the floor. The back of her head had a missing piece just on the brim, with a crack that crawled down to her neck. Her handle was completely missing, and all that was left in her head was the remains of a plastic silly straw and some froth.

I looked up at Cuphead and Mugman, tears dried on my face.

"You two." I chocked. "There's a bed in the basement downstairs. That's Cannikin's. Go get it made for me then come back up and get the bandages from the storage closet." The boys sprinted away.

I quickly turned Cannikin around and sat her head on my lap. I removed my coat and tried to cover as many scratches on her back as I could with it, tying it around her stomach. Blood soaked my gloves and dotted my pants.  I lifted Cannikin and cradled her in my arms. When I saw her face, and a great wave of pain poured over me. She was pale, cold, her mouth hung open and her eyes remained closed and motionless.

Still shaken at the sight of her, I stood and noticed The Devil, staring at me in confusion. I spoke, "Boss, with all do respect, I must ask if you are just going to stand there or if your going to help me."

He stood silent, then took a glance at Mr. Wheezy, before turning back to me. The Devil shook his head and sighed. "I'll be right back. I'm getting more bandages and any possible... 'healing potions' I may have." Then he walked away with Mr. Wheezy behind him.

Still cradling Cannikin in my arms, I ran to the basement and sprinted downstairs, Cuphead and Mugman running past me. I delicately placed Cannikin on her bed. Soon enough, her brothers came running downstairs with medical kits and arm fulls of bandages.

I quickly grabbed as much as I could from them. "Thank you"

I pulled up the chair near Cannikin's desk and sat down close to the bed. I removed my coat from her waist- which was now soaked with blood- and replaced it with a bandage. I lifted her back and wrapped it around her waist and chest. I continued wrapping a few other wounded areas on her body such as her arms and legs. I was so lost into making sure that she was okay, that I didn't hear Mugman say my name.

"Um... Mr. Dice?" He spoke. "Sir?"

Not looking up at him, I simply nodded in his direction. "Hm? What is it?"

"Is she going to be okay?" He fiddled nervously.

I nearly forgot to reply. "Oh. Um... yes, your sister will be fine." I blurted out.

"Sister?" Cuphead questioned. "We never had a... sister...?"

"Can we talk about this later?" I continued working.

"No, actually! I want to know what you mean by 'sister'! What do you know that we don't?"

Suddenly, Mr. Wheezy came downstairs with a bag of broken glass and a bottle of super glue. "Hope this will be of use to ya."

I stood up and took it from his hands without a single word. It was like I was no longer in control of myself. I was full of anger, grief, and worry. I didn't have time to think or speak. Mr. Wheezy gave me a concerned look before leaving the room. I sat back down and placed the given materials on Cannikin's desk.

Cuphead stepped closer and stood next to me, leaning in. "Alright Dice," He spoke in a harsh tone. "Ya better start talking now. I still don't know what you mean by sister, it's always been me and Mugs. I can tell there's something that you know that you're hiding from us."

I ignored him.

"Dice!" Barked Cuphead. "Speak up already! I wanna know w-"

Out of pure anger, I shot my fist at the wall and quickly stood up, leaning into Cuphead. "Shut it, kid! Can't ya see I'm trying to keep her alive?" Face hot with anger, I pointed to the basement stairs. "Both of you- out! Now!"

Mugman left swiftly, with Cuphead eventually following behind.

I took a deep breath and sank back into the chair. I took Cannikin's limp hand and held it. The room went dead silent. I had never been so miserable and lost, not knowing what to do next. I rubbed Cannikin's hand with my thumb. "I'm so sorry, Cannikin." I whispered, a lump in my throat. "I'm so sorry."