Chapter Three: Didn't Want To Anyway

~ Holding back your feelings, building up the walls... Screaming through the windos, crawling down the halls ~

Chapter Three: Didn't Want To Anyway

New York just seemed to come to life at night. The bright lights flashed as Max and I walked along the streets. Cars and people passed by us, a sea of all too typical people formed on the sidewalks. We walked amongst them, seeming to the eye for fit perfectly in that sea... But we didn't. Nothing about any of these people was typical.

"So did you have fun?" Max asked. I nodded, a smile always seeming to creep onto my face when we talked. He grinned, happy with my answer. His hand was on my back, where it seemed to be a lot today. After we'd left the abandoned building, we ate at various street vendors while we just walked around. This was the last part of Max's tour, just being out in the city at night. He said it was peaceful, yet exhilarating... And he was right. It was like a quiet rush that pumped through my body. It was really quite beautiful.

I shivered, a cool breeze giving me goosebumps. Max looked down at me as I wrapped my arms in front of me, his eyebrows scrunched. He wrapped his arm around me, pulling me closer as he let me use his body as a shield from the oncoming wind. Even in the summer, if the breeze was blowing it could get pretty cold in New York. I was grateful for Max's body heat to keep me warm.

We turned onto a road that was extremely quiet, one that seemed worlds away from the one we just left. There were hardly any people, all the shops and cafes closed for the evening. Max and I partook in happy, friendly conversation that made me and him both smile. Laughter flowed easily between us, topics seeming to pick themselves. We talked about how we grew up, siblings, family, friends... It was all natural. 

I was laughing at something Max had told me, when I had to suddenly stop. A wave of nausea washed over my body, making my knees go weak.

"Whoa..." I said. I grabbed tight onto Max's arm while he stared at me intensely, concern clear on his face. The feeling hit me deep in my stomach, a sickening feeling that seemed to ache.

"Blakely?" Max called my name. I didn't open my mouth again, for fear that what would come out wouldn't be words. Another wave of nausea hit me, hard. I gripped his arm tighter, trying to settle my stomach. Yet another wave, making me actually stumble backwards with its force. I suddenly couldn't hold it back any longer, breaking away from Max as I booked it down the road. I heard Max running after me and calling, but I didn't stop.

I finally made it to an empty alley, where I stopped and finally let it go. I puked, it landing in a patch of grass just within the shadows of the walls in front of me. My body convulsed against the feeling as I dropped on all fours, just in front of the grass. I felt someone come behind me, standing over me and holding my hair out of the way. I was too busy to pay much attention though, never getting more than a few seconds between retching. Whoever it was, I assumed it was Max, just quietly held my hair back and rubbed my back, trying to comfort me. My back arched as my stomach convulsed, sickness taking over my entire being. My head began pounding, my hands trembling.

I think by the time I was done I'd puked up every thing I'd eaten in the past twenty-four hours. My stomach ached from being so empty, my throat sore from it all coming back up. I sat down, facing Max. My back was against the brick wall, my head leaning back. I pulled my knees up, looking at Max's gentle caring face. He crouched in front of me, his gaze comforting.

"Hey..." he said, softly putting his palm against my face. I noticed I was sweating like crazy. I was shivering fiercely, my shoulders shaking. "Your burning up," he told me, touching my forehead. I sighed, closing my eyes. Max softly grabbed my shoulders, keeping them from shuddering. His hands felt cool against my skin, further proof I was running a fever.