Chapter Twenty-Three: All Dressed Up

~ theres no way your gonna help me, she's the only one who can ~

Chapter Twenty-Three: All Dressed Up

I pulled on one of my sandals as Max tapped on my bathroom door. I walked over and pulled it open, leaving him standing at the door.

"What are you doing, love?" he asked. I still didn't look up at him, fixing the belt on the dress as I hopped back up onto the counter.

"I'm putting on my..." I slowly trailed off, looking up at him. He looked absolutely adorable, in a long sleeved white dress shirt and a black vest, the blue tie tucked neatly beneath it. His hands were shoved in the pockets of his black dress pants, everything pulled together by the soft, adoring smile he had aimed down at me.

"Shoes..." I finished slowly. His smile faltered slightly, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Whats wrong?" he asked. My face broke out into the widest grin, uncontrollable. I jumped down, stepping against him and wrapping my arms around him in a hug. I felt him softly chuckle, responding to my touch by sweetly hugging back.

"You look so friggin cute," I said with a laugh, my face in his chest. I could sense his smile, his fingers rubbing small circles into my shoulder blades. He softly kissed the top of my head, holding me closer.

"You look pretty amazing yourself," he told me in response, the easy flow of his words comforting and loving. I smiled brightly, slowly pulling away slightly. I leaned up and gave him a short kiss, struggling slightly to find enough will to pull away again. I was finding that to be a challenge nowadays, finding the control to separate myself from him. I felt so much safer with him, and, as cheesy as it sounded, so much more at peace. His easy laugh put any worries I could have to rest, and I felt it hard to be apart from that.

"Are we even sure what we're doing dressed up like this?" Max asked, slowly releasing me so I could put on my other shoe.

"Nope," I said, popping the 'p'. "She still hasn't said anything about it, except to meet her in the back yard when we're ready."

He nodded, offering me his hand. I shook my bangs from my face, before taking it and letting him gently guide me out of the room. I fell into step beside him, the two of us easily laughing as we made our way up the stairs. We met Dustin outside, my sister following us as we stood on the patio.

"So what are doing again?" Lizzy asked. She was wearing a bright green dress, one that made her eyes sparkle. My brother shrugged in response.

"I have no idea," he said simply, shoving his hands in his pockets. He was wearing a light purple dress shirt and a pair of dark jeans, with his hair at least a bit more managed than usual.

"Hey people!" I heard a happy greeting behind me. I turned and saw Ali coming out of the house in a light yellow dress with intricate swirly beading on the skirt. I laughed, taking my hand from Max's as we hugged. She giggled, slowly releasing me.

"You got my text," I stated happily, gesturing to her cute outfit. Her dark red hair stood out against the pale yellow color, and she smiled brightly at me.

"Yep!" she said, bobbing her head. "What is this for?"

"We still have no idea," Max said behind me. She smiled at him over my shoulder, before skipping over to Lizzy and giving her a hug.

Once everyone was done saying hi and I was leaning against Max again, we stood and talked idly while we waited for mom. The sun was still up at seven in the evening, typical for a Kentucky summertime. I laid my head on Max's shoulder, feeling the warm sunshine on my skin as we stood against each other. He squeezed my hand, looking down at me adoringly.