Chapter Twenty-Nine: Breaking Down

~ I wanna be with you, I wanna feel your love ~

Chapter Twenty-Nine: Breaking Down

"Why in the hell are we here?" I groaned as my little sister pulled me into our town's formal dress boutique. She sent me a look over her shoulder as we followed Ali over to a lady behind a counter, telling her something I couldn't hear. The woman's hazel eyes found me, and she offered me a small smile as she looked me up and down. I could feel her eyes linger on Max's shirt, and I self-consciously pulled on the bottom of it.

"Is this her?" the lady asked, walking over to me with Ali. Lizzy and Ali both nodded, and the lady looked me up and down again. She had shoulder length light brown hair that fell straight, her body pencil thin in a long black skirt and a white dress shirt. She furrowed her eyebrows, looking at my shirt again.

"It's my boyfriend's," I said, sitting into my right hip. A look of recognition crossed her face, and she snapped her fingers with a small laugh.

"He's the one I talked to on the phone, right?" she asked Ali, smiling politely. Ali nodded again, looking back to me.

"He said he told you what we were looking for?" Lizzy said to her. The woman smiled genuinely, nodding her head.

"Yes," she said. "My name's Terra," she told us, offering us her hand in turn. She pointed at me, furrowing her eyebrows in thought.

"You're Blakely," she told me. "The young man's girlfriend, right?"

I nodded, and I found myself smiling. "Yes ma'am," I said, tucking my bangs behind my ear. She then pointed to both Ali and Lizzy, looking between them.

"And you're the reinforcements he said he would be sending, right?" she asked. The three of us laughed slightly, nodding our heads.

"I'm her best friend, Ali," Ali introduced herself. "And her little sister Lizzy," she told Terra, pointing to the blonde haired girl on my other side. Lizzy gave a small wave, before Terra turned her attention back to me.

"He said I might have my hands full finding something you'd like," she told me. I nodded sheepishly, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I'm not the typical girly teenager," I elaborated, following her as she beckoned us back into a large open area. A three way mirror stood around a small circular stage-type thing, with plush couches around it. Empty, rolling racks stood off to the side, ready to hold reject dresses when they were needed. Terra gestured to the couches, and the three of us plopped down as she spoke.

"So what's the situation?" she asked, walking over and opening up a smaller dressing room off to the side. She turned back to us, and I pointed to the girls on either side of me.

"I have no idea," I informed her. "He's surprising me with something, and I apparently need a dress for it," I elaborated further, leaning back and stretching my legs out. She nodded, turning her attention to Ali as she reached in her back pocket. She pulled out a folded-up piece of paper, offering it to Terra. She took it, unfolding it and looking over it. A smile grew on her face as she finished, nodding her head and looking back at me.

"You're a very lucky young girl," she informed me. I grinned, sighing slightly as Max's face popped into my mind.

"Believe me, I know," I told her. She chuckled, beckoning me to stand.

"Let's get your measurements and figure out what your looking for," she said, taking a roll of measuring tape from a nearby table. I nodded, listening to instructions as he measured various parts of my body.

"What's our budget?" she asked, writing all my measurements down on a slip of paper. I opened my mouth to get her a reasonable set of numbers, but Lizzy beat me to it.