Chapter Twelve: Disaster Waiting to Happen

~ My friends... Why do they always get so out of hand... I don't understand ~

Chapter Twelve: Disaster Waiting to Happen

I was gently shook awake by Max's soft laughter. Too tired to fully wake up, I just curled closer to him with every intention of going back to sleep. His body heat warmed me, and I laid my head on his bare chest. I could feel him looking down at me, his body shifting. I slowly peeled my eyes open, looking up at his gentle brown gaze. He smiled, propping himself up on his elbow.

"Hey beautiful," he said cutely, moving his other hand to rest on my waist. I mumbled a good morning, finding myself smiling at him as I pushed away slightly. I slowly forced myself into a sitting position, biting back a yawn. I looked back at him, reaching for his hand.

"What were you laughing at?" I asked curiously, scooting back to lean against my headboard. Max moved closer to me, resting his head on my leg. He handed me his phone as I began running my fingers through his messy hair. I took it, pressing the home button.

"The passcode is zero-seven-zero-seven," he told me, closing his eyes. I scrunched my eyebrows at him, typing in the four digits.

"Whats the significance of those numbers?" I asked as his phone unlocked. I saw his cheeks turn slightly red, opening one eye to look up at me. He gave a small smile, reaching up and selecting his messages.

"Its, uh... its the date you first got here," he told me sheepishly, opening both eyes. "July seventh," he elaborated. I gave a light laugh, my stomach flipping and my cheeks warming. He smiled, reaching back up and selecting a conversation with my aunt. He tapped an attached image, pulling up a picture she'd sent him earlier this morning.

"She must have come by earlier and used her key to get in," he said, looking at the image with me. I began laughing, shaking my head. It was a picture of Max and I in bed sleeping. His arms were wrapped protectively around my waist, our bodies pressed against each other. My palms were pressed against his chest, my face half hidden in the crook of his neck. The blankets were pushed down around our waists, from moving in sleep. It was really an adorable picture. We made a really cute couple.

I went back and read the message that came attatched. I read it aloud: "Another thing I'll be adding to the list of things I'm not telling her momma. By the looks of it she's well taken care of. I'll be back next week to check on her again."

Max laughed, shaking his head. I smiled, twisting a piece of his hair around my finger. I was so in love with this feeling. Just being here with him, feeling so content. I hadn't felt this at peace with myself in so long, I'd forgotten how nice it was. I tangled my fingers in Max's hair, and I felt him sigh against me.

"We should probably get up," he said, sending me a smile. I frowned slightly, moving my hand from his hair and softly running my finger along his collar bone, not giving it a second thought. His eyes instantly slipped closed, goosbumps forming under my touch. I smirked slightly, watching him. His eyebrows scrunched with concentration and self control. I cocked my head slightly.

"Not fair," he murmured. I gave a light chuckle, stopping and laying my hand flat on his chest. His skin was warm against my cold hand. His eyes were still closed, his breathing deep. He suddenly opened his eyes, meeting my gaze intensely. I cocked my eyebrow, watching as he stared at me with a pondering look on his face.

"Do you remember what you said to me right before you fell asleep last night?" he asked. I bit my lip, thinking. What did I say to him? I remember saying something, just not exactly what I said. I scrunched my eyebrows, thinking hard. For some reason, when I get really tired, I get vulnerable and say whatever I'm thinking. In essense, I get really honest.