Chapter Forty-Three: Reunited

~ Strings all get tangled, wires all get crossed... ~

Chapter Forty-Three: Reunited

I took a deep breath, blowing my bangs from my face as I plopped down in my stool across from Mr.Anthony. I'd just finished a rush at the coffee shop, a long one that had lasted a good hour without much of a break. I ran my fingers through my hair, watching as Mr.Anthony chuckled and looked up at me.

"Tired, Miss Blakely?" he asked with another small laugh, folding his paper and sitting back slightly on his barstool. I laughed lightly, nodding.

"Max and I were up all night last night," I told him, standing and going to refill his coffee. He smirked, and I rolled my eyes with a smile. "Not like that," I added with a laugh.

Then again, I thought to myself, we did come awfully close. If Max doesn't stop wearing just his boxers to bed and giving me back rubs that leave me with rippling chills...

Ugh... Dirty thoughts...

I shook myself as Mr.Anthony spoke again. "How is Max?" he asked me, sounding genuinely interested. I smiled, quickly finishing his coffee and returning to my elderly friend.

"He's good," I told him. "He's tired... He's been in the studio a lot lately, but other than that, he's fine."

Mr.Anthony smiled. "How long has it been?" he asked. "Since you two got together, I mean. It's been a while, yes?"

I chuckled, feeling myself grin. "We just celebrated five months a few days ago," I told him, tucking my bangs behind my ears. The thought made me smile... Max came into my life five whole months ago, and I'd never be the same for it.

"He's a nice young man," he commented. "He's very in love with you. He still treat you right?" he asked. I nodded, feeling my phone vibrate.

"Every second of every day," I assured him. "Ain't a minute that goes by that I'm not confident he loves me," I told him, reaching in my apron for my phone. He smiled, satisfied with my response as he returned to his paper for a few minutes as I grabbed my phone. I quickly hit accept as I realized it was a call, pressing it to my ear.

"Hello?" I said.

"BLAKELY!" a voice yelled, causing me to pull away sharply. I eased myself back against my phone, listening more guardedly.

"Hey Ali," I greeted, smiling slightly. Ali and Dustin were flying in today to stay with Max and I for a little bit of winter break, and I was super excited. It turned out pretty well; I was getting off here in about fifteen minutes, and it sounded like Ali and Dustin just landed. Max would have time to come get me and then head over to the airport to pick them up.

"Hey chicka!" she spoke. "Me and Dustin just landed."

I laughed. "I assumed that," I told her. She giggled, and I heard the phone shift.

"Hey baby sis," I heard a deep voice greet me. I grinned, leaning down on the counter and running my fingers through my hair.

"Hey bubba," I greeted Dustin. "How was the flight?" I asked. I heard slight shuffling, rustling on the line as he replied.

"Fine," he said. "Ali and I'll be at the house in like, a little over an hour," he informed me. I furrowed my eyebrows, looking up.

"Don't you need me and Max to pick you guys up?" I asked, clearly confused. He chuckled, amused at my lack of being in the loop.

"I already talked to Max, baby sis," he assured me. "He'll be there to pick you up any minute. We'll see you soon, okay?"

I smiled. "Okay, bubba," I said. "I love you."