Chapter Nine: Getting Tripped

~ The pain is killing, but I am willing to give you my coconuts :) ~

Chapter Nine: Getting Tripped

"Good night beautiful," Max said, leaving me at my bedroom door. I smiled at him, pushing my door closed and leaning against it. I sighed, feeling strangely hollow. I slid down the wood of the door, sitting on the floor for a few minutes as I collected my thoughts.

The last few hours were kinda like torture. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it really was. It was hard to go so long without any kind of physical contact with Max. This bet was kinda hard to handle. I can't even count how many times I thought about losing just so I could hold his hand or let him run his fingers through my hair.

I blew my bangs from my face, pulling the sleeves of the hoodie into my palms. Surprisingly, it still smelled like him, his soft scent soothing to me. It even made me smile, his face popping in my mind and making me feel warmer on the inside. I could almost hear his laugh echo through the depths of my mind, feel his fingers in mine.

I really should give this back to him, I thought, fingering the fabric. A dark blue string was coming loose, and I slowly tore it away. I dropped it to the dark floor, looking to where the reflection of the moon shone on the wood. The night was clear, the stars shining brightly... Much like Max's brown eyes when he smiled at me.

I stood, padding over to my bed. I pulled the comforter and sheets back, slowly sliding under them and tucking myself in. I laid on my side with my wrist in front of me, the faint smell of Max lulling me slightly. I inhaled deeply.

I felt so tired, yet I knew sleep wouldn't come easily even if I tried. Still, I closed my eyes and took deep, slow breaths. My mind seemed to kick into overdrive, making me toss and turn. I threw my blankets everywhere, frustrated with myself. There was no reason I should be having this much trouble. I was tired. I'd been awake since seven this morning, and it was midnight.

I ran a hand through my hair, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath. I really wished I could talk to Max. I'm not sure why I was having such a problem sleeping, but I'm sure he'd be able to get me to crash. But, even if we hadn't made this bet, he was probably sound asleep. Waking him up would be rude and very inconsiderate of me.

I frowned, slowly grabbing my phone from my bedside table. I hooked it up to my dock, hitting shuffle and turning the sound down real low. I laid back down, focusing on the music as I flooded my mind with happy memories... Memories of me and Max on the couch, eating candy. Memories of sitting on the rooftop and watching the sky go dark. Memories of us sitting at breakfast.

I slowly forced myself into an uneasy sleep.

* * * * *

I woke up screaming. My heart was pounding and my body was violently trembling. My body was tangled in the covers from apparent thrashing, and a thin film of cold sweat covered my face, neck, and chest. My breathing was labored and hard, several deep pains focusing around either side of my head, just beneath my temples. My music was still playing softly in the background of it all, grounding myself back in reality.

My nightmares tend to take a heavy tole on my body, heavier than most people. More than just the emotional pain, I literally ached after each nightmare. Since last night with Max had been my first in a while, it hadn't been quite so bad. But now it was hurting my body. I moved a shaky hand through my hair, looking at my alarm clock. It was almost three AM.

I sighed, slowly creeping out of bed. There's only ever been one thing that's been able to keep away my nightmares in the past... Well, in addition to being with Max, but that was hardly an option. I didn't think it would be smart to wake him.