Chapter Four: Not Ready to Leave Yet

~ Lets pretend that we be on an island, and you be spend your days, picking up the coconuts and I be on my way ~

Chapter Four: Not Ready to Leave Yet

I felt something on my stomach as I woke up, something warm that sat on top of my blanket. Without opening my eyes, I moved my hand on top of it, trying to figure out what it was. I was surpised to realize it was a hand, attatched to an arm that was attatched to the boy I was sleeping on.

I opened my eyes, remembering I'd fallen asleep on Max last night. My head was still in his lap, his body sitting up-right behind me. His head was bowed, light snoring drifting from him. I laughed a little, shaking my head at him. I didn't think we'd sleep like that all night... I figured he'd wait until I'd passed out then go to bed. I knew he was up longer than I was, a vague memory of the feeling of his fingers through my hair for a long time after I'd drifted off.

Maybe thats what he meant when he said he didn't want to... He didn't want to leave me? I furrowed my eyebrows, all the memory of last night flooding back. I remembered puking my guts up in an alley, Max holding my hair back, him carrying me, him taking care of me...

Speaking of puking, I thought, quickly sitting up and rushing to my bathroom. I sat on the cold floor next to my toilet, my head bent over it as I threw up. I pushed my hair from my face, holding tight.

"Blakely?" I heard from back in the lounge. Dammit, I thought. Max came rushing behind me, holding my hair and rubbing my shoulders as I finally finished heaving my guts up. I really didn't mean to wake him up... He should have gotten more time to sleep. He was the one, after all, who'd been doing nothing but taking care of me for a good few hours straight it seemed. I had hoped I'd be quiet, but I really couldn't help it.

I turned around, facing him. He furrowed his eyebrows at me, putting a hand to my cheek. "Morning..." I whispered, taking a deep breath. He just smiled at me, as if he really didn't mind I'd woken him up.

"Good morning," he said, taking his hand from my face. "Your burning up again," he said, carefully helping me stand up. He picked me up again, returning us back into the lounge.

"Sorry I woke you up," I said. "I was gonna try and let you sleep a little longer, until..."

"Blakely, it really doesn't bother me," he said, sitting back down on the couch with me. He smiled, sitting me next to him. I sat up as he handed me that bottle of medicine, accompanied by what was now a flat Pepsi. I repeated last nights process, the nasty liquid still disgusting on my tongue.

"Yeah, but I feel bad that you took care of me last night and then didn't get to sleep very much," I told him, letting him take my stuff and put it back. He shrugged, sitting back against the couch. He swiftly patted his lap, beckoning me to lay back down. I did so without argument, laying my head in his lap and letting him play with my hair while we talked. He pulled it out around him, and I found comfort in the slow rhythm of his fingers softly running through it.

"Don't," he said. "I took care of you because I wanted too," he explained staring down at me. "If anything, you're the one in need of more rest. Your system needs time to flush itself out."

I frowned a little bit, looking up at his brown eyes. "I still wish I hadn't woken you up," I told him. He just smiled, shaking his head a little bit.

"Don't," he repeated, running his fingers through my hair. His gaze was soft, sweet even as he watched me. He shifted me a little bit, his hand laying on my stomach again. I was going to say something else about it, but decided against it. I was slowly discovering that there was never any point in arguing with Max. He was too stubborn. I smiled a little bit inspite of myself, closing my eyes as he continued to run his fingers through my hair.