Chapter 5: System Change

We enter the main auditorium. The main auditorium connects the high school and college buildings. College students enter and exit at the left side while us at the right. So this general assembly seemed to be very important. Well every year we do this, but it's only now that they've combined both departments in one announcement.

We see Drew and his friends and give them a quick wave. His friends smile back at us while Drew mouths "Talk to you later" at me. I giggle and give him a nod. Now the three of us take a seat beside the other high school students. We all stand up as the hymn plays. After taking our seats again, our principal makes a few regular announcements such as the schedule for the week, the new clubs for the year, as well as the new faculty and staff. Afterwards she calls the dean for the important news.

"Teachers, colleagues, faculty, staff and my dearest students, good morning....."

She started with her usual introduction on how the arts were important and worth saving, thanking the government, blah, blah, blah.....

"For this academic year I am very pleased to see that hundreds of new students have chosen HAPA as their place to enrich, nourish and develop their talents in performing arts."

Yeah, I agree with her. The auditorium was a full house!

"Therefore, in line with this matter, there will be a slight change in the ITW and SFF Divisions..."

The dean paused, maybe for us to collect our thoughts. Everyone went silent. Kriss, Nate and I look at each other in confusion. What could this mean? No more divisions? Why do I have a feeling this isn't good? The dean resumes speaking.

"Instead of two divisions, there will be three. The functions of ITW and SFF remaim the same, however, with a few modifications. In The Works Division is still for the aspiring actors and singers. After that is the new division, which the administration named "Getting There". This division is for students who already got a record label or a movie contract, but are not consistent with their performance, for instance if you haven't been in a movie for quite a while, you belong to GT..."

I'm speechless. I can be moved to GT. It's possible. I can be kicked out.

"School For Fame is now for students who constantly get movie roles and release albums. We believe that this will be fair for all the students. So starting from this moment on, your teachers will track your progress in the media and your activities outside school, and by the start of the second trimester in December, your divisions will change, depending on your performance..."

Whispers were heard in the entire auditorium. Some looked like they wanted to protest, but we all know you can't mess with the dean.

"That will be all. Once you exit the auditorium there will be letters handed to selected HAPA students in both departments. Thank you very much, and good day. "Afterwards the dean walks down the auditorium as we give her a round of applause.

I leave the auditorium, stunned of today's events. Kriss and Nate are at my side, and as we exit, our principal's secretary hands me a white envelope. I look at her with a blank expression and blink at her. She seems to understand that I don't get it so she says "It's a letter from the principal."

Then she walks away. Oh right. The letter. I got one. Kriss and Nate look at me, expecting me to open it. They didn't get a letter. I looked around the hall. I saw some students holding a white envelope too, but the number is so small I can count who received one. This made me so nervous I start to shake.

"What if it's bad?" I asked, obviously terrified.

"Just open it Jess." Nate tells me softly.

"Yeah, we're here for you no matter what." Kriss says as she gives me a pat on the back.

I nod at them, then stare at the envelope. Taking a deep breath, I rip it wide open and start reading.

Dear Miss Jessica Wesley,

I would personally like to discuss an important matter with you tomorrow at 12 noon in my office. If perhpaps you are not available at the mentioned time, please inform my secretary as soon as possible. I look forward to our meeting.

With regards,

Mrs. Grace Anderson

Hollywood Academy of Performing Arts Principal

I pass the letter to Kriss and Nate and they both read it.

"Important matter?" Kriss asks as she turns to look at me.

"Maybe someone wants to recruit you in a movie!" Kriss exclaims.

"Yeah, this is good Jess! This is good!" Nate said as he shakes my shoulders, a little too hard.

"Ow." I said as I wince.

"Oh sorry, got too excited." Nate replies.

"Well don't get too excited yet, we're not sure if this is a good thing." I tell them as I snatch the letter back.

"Think positive Wesley." Kriss says.

"Yeah I will." I reply as we head to the cafeteria for lunch. Think positive Jess. Think positive.

We line up to buy food, then get a table for the three of us. Yeah, we're not one of the popular kids who get a full table. There's a table for the jocks and cheerleaders. Kriss and Nate wonder why I don't join them even though I'm a cheerleader. I just say that I don't fit in there. It's true. Most of them are slutty. Only a few are pretty nice, and like me, they don't stay in the jocks' table.

The other table's full of the straight A students. The other is for the people into music. The last table is for the actors and actresses. We usually sit with them, but for now we need privacy since we need to discuss the recent announcement...oh! And the phone call about the Broadway audition. Also, we invited Jules for lunch. So Nate prefers a smaller audience.

As if on cue, Jules enters the cafeteria and waves at us! We wave back and Kriss and I motion her to sit next to Nate, so she does.

We tell her about SFF Policies, how the teachers are here, and the students. We also share stories about our acting careers. For a few minutes, well while eating lunch, Kriss and I decide to talk within ourselves, so that Nate and Jules can talk more. We even excused ourselves to the restroom!

After a while we came back and saw the pair laughing at a joke Nate made. Kriss and I smile at each other. Looks like the Lafferson ship is beginning to sail. Then we moved on to the personal stuff. So apparently, Jules is a virgin too. That makes her, Nate and me virgins. Kriss lost hers when she was 16 to a guy at a club. Told you she can be wild sometimes. Since we were in this topic, my tenacious self asks Jules:

"So Jules, you have a boyfriend?"

"Yeah I do actually. He's in Kentucky."