Chapter 8: News and More News

"What kind of news?" I ask the principal politely.

"As you are aware, the teachers here at SFF monitor students very carefully..." I nod.

"And you do know that if you don't get another movie, we will be...forced to move you to the next class, which is the 'Getting There' division." The principal pauses, looking at me. Oh shit, I probably look tensed right now. I nod at her to continue.

"That is unless you have found a movie to audition for...which I assume you haven't..?"

"What?!" I exclaim. Oh wait this is the principal.

"I'm sorry. I mean, I just decided yesterday...." I started.

"Decided what exactly?"

"That I was going to audition for a Broadway musical." I finish with a smile.

"Oh is that so?" The principal asks me with one eyebrow raised.

"Yes. I know it's a new thing for me but-"

She cut me off.

"Because I received a call this morning. From your father." What the fuck did Dad do?!

"This morning I was informed by the management of Live It Up that you were auditioning, but apparently Mr. Wesley called afterwards to cancel your scheduled audition." The principal explained.

"Wait ma'am, there has to be some kind of mistake?" I asked, even though deep down inside I know this is true.

"I'm sorry Jessica, but your father strictly told me that you wouldn't be auditioning. My dear, I am certain that you will have another movie soon. You have until the end of November."

"Yes ma'am I'll try my best." I tell her softly.

I was about to leave the room when the principal spoke again. "That's great. Now for the actual purpose of this meeting..."

"Wait Mrs. Anderson!" I say, rather rudely to be honest.

"Yes?"

I sat down again, then I replied. "I just thought that the only purpose of the meeting was to remind me of my possible move to GT..."

"No, no! Of course I had to remind you about that matter, but I have another thing to talk to you about."

The tension in my face might have been really obvious, since Mrs. Anderson added. "It's good news Ms. Wesley."

I breathed out a sigh of relief. I stared at her hopefully.

"Leila Han, the captain of the cheerleading team has already chosen her co-captain. And I'm happy to inform you Jessica, that she chose you."

Wait what just happened? Me? Leila chose me to be her co-captain? We're not that close...

"Me?" I ask. I really can't believe it.

"Yes Ms. Wesley. This was a unanimous decision among all the senior cheerleaders. And this means that you will be our future head captain. Congratulations."

"Thank you so much!" I tell Mrs. Anderson.

"Don't thank me. Thank your co-captain." Mrs. Anderson replied with a genuine smile on her face.

"Yes, yes. Of course I will."

"You may go now and have your lunch."

I thank Mrs. Anderson and step out of her room. I got my phone from my pocket. Woah, it's already 12:30! The principal and I have been talking for thirty minutes! I walk briskly to the cafeteria and saw Kriss, Nate and surprisingly, Jules at one table talking and eating. I go towards them but my eyes flickered towards the cheerleaders' table. Leila and the other senior cheerleaders were seated there. My three friends already caught my eye and motioned at me to go to their table but I mouthed "Wait."