Chapter 6: Discussions

So apparently (more like unfortunately), Jules has a boyfriend back at her hometown Kentucky. The two met when they watched a football game together, and have been close ever since. Kriss asked for a picture so Jules showed a photo of the two of them. The guy's hot to be honest. Everyone on the table seemed to be silent so I decided to speak up.

"Well, I bet he's a nice guy. I'm happy for you." I say. Kriss was about to say something but Nate put his hand on her shoulder, making her keep her words.

"Thanks Jess." Jules replies. Then someone's phone was ringing.

"Oh I have to take this. See you guys later!" Jules exclaims. Once she left our table. Kriss and Nate glare at me.

"Why on earth did you say that you're happy for them?" Kriss demanded.

"What else would I say? Break up with him and date Nate instead?" I reply saracstically.

"Well, Jess has a point you know..." Nate tells Kriss, defending me.

"But now what?" Nate asks.

"We can't actually force someone we just met, to break up with someone we never met!" I point out.

"Yeah, but the thing we can actually do is to make her see Nate as a nice guy." Kriss says.

"But she already sees me as a nice guy!" Nate replies, slightly irritated.

"Then a great guy then!" Kriss answers back.

"Okay, okay! You girls do whatever you want, but I'll keep a look on other girls as well. All good?" Nate says.

Kriss and I both nod.

"So anyways, let's change this subject, Jess, what was the phone call about?" Nate asked, looking in my direction.

Oh right. The phone call. I almost forgot about that. So I tell them about it.

"Ok so Lisa called..." I started.

"And?" Kriss inquired, curious.

"Well she booked me a Broadway audition...."

"What?!" Nate exclaimed, obviously surprised.

"Fuck." Kriss said, shocked as well.

"Well go!!" Kriss continued talking while shaking my shoulders.

"I mean this is huge! You always wanted to be in a musical! Wait what musical is this?" Kriss suddenly stopped to look at me.

"Live it Out." I reply half-heartedly.

"Oh yeah I heard of that before! This is huge!!" Nate said.

They both seemed to notice my glum expression so Nate asked me what was wrong.

"Well you know my dad and Broadway...." I mumbled.

They both knew my frustrations with my dad. We were all silent for a moment, then Kriss speaks up.

"Well, you should at least try...you never know...and besides, no offense, you can head to GT at any minute so I guess we get all the chance we can get, right?" Kriss says.

"Yeah..." I agree. "But what if I can get a movie audition too?"

"Then go for both!" They both tell me in unison.

"Okay I will...but I'll have to talk to my dad first you know." I say.

"Yeah..." Kriss replies. "And you never know, the meeting with the principal tomorrow might be a movie offer!"

"Wait what??" I ask, confused.

"Yes. For the past years some students get selected to partcipate in movie projects. As in directors offer them movie roles." Nate explained.

"Here in campus?"

"Yeah. Directors can ask the principal for names of star students."

"Oh. Well I guess we'll just hope for the best." I say

"Yeah. Hope's the only thing we can do for now." Kriss replies.

"We're here for you always." Nate adds.

I mumble a quick thanks as we finish our lunch.

We all went to finish the classes for the day. Now I'm with Drew in his car, on our way to a restaurant to celebrate the first day of classes. We weren't talking to each other. I haven't told him about everything yet. I don't even know where to start. It has been quite a day. I busied myself as I stared at the road. 

"We're here." Drew announces.

I give him a smile and look at my left. It's our favorite restaurant. Drew gets out of the car and goes to my side to open the door. I step out and take his hand and we both enter.

Now we're both in our seats. I still wasn't talking. Drew notices my silence though so he speaks up.

"Hey babe, I know that look. What are you thinking about? Is something wrong?" He asks gently.

So I tell him about Nate liking Jules, Jules having a boyfriend, the phone call about the audition, my frustrations with my dad, the letter from the principal, everything. He stares at me for quite some time, then he speaks up.

"First things first, does Nate really like Jules?" He asks me. I laugh. He always finds a way to lighten my mood. I nod.

"Well you can't force them to date Jess." He tells me.

"I know."

"So anyways, about the call, Jess, babe, I see your dad's point on the Broadway thing. But I still think you should talk to him when you get home. Change his mind perphaps."

"Okay.." I reply, nodding. "How about the letter?" I ask.

"You'll just have to attend and see what happens."

We smile at each other. I don't know what to do without him. We go through with dinner. Drew tells about his day at college. It's his last year after all. He tells me about the new teachers, his opinions on the new system, and all that happened during his day. Afterwards we finished dinner.

It was getting late so Drew drove me home. He gave me a peck on the lips before I stepped out out of the car. I give him a wave as I approach our door. He gives me a thumbs up sign and drives away. I notice my dad's car is here. This means he's home. I'm going to tell him about the audition. I'm going to convince him to let me. Show him who's in charge of my career. I take a deep breath and open the door.