26. Porch Swing

The blaring noise was sent across the school in unison in every classroom. It was the last bell of the day. The bell that sent every teen running from their classes and out the door if the school. Tweek even joined in, and speedily walked the whole way home.

Upon arriving home, he sat on the porch swing his family had set up on the side of the porch. It was Tweek's favorite place to sit and take in the nature around him. Tweek slightly tucked his legs in and out to give the swing momentum.

Eventually, he heard the rumble of Craig's car coming from down the road, and watched as it pulled up to his driveway. Tweek smiled and stood up from the swing to wave Craig over.

Craig quickly turned off his car and walked over to join Tweek on the porch swing. Both of them sat down, wondering who was going to speak first. Craig used his long legs to push the swing back and forth as Tweek's legs barely kept up. Tweek let his feet slide along side Craig's, and as they gained rhythm the porch swing slowly moved back and forth.

"So, has anyone really called you out for being gay?" Craig asked staring out in front of him, letting his vision unfocus.

"Well, y-yea. Some in the halls, or at my locker... n-nothing big." Tweek said, scratching the back of his neck as he spoke, "What about you?"

"I've been better, but no one has gave me too much trouble. Most the guys just don't bother to talk to me, but it's not like I care. Also, Leslie broke it off with me, which makes no difference to me. I only stuck with her in hopes it'd block rumors."

"So people think we're both gay... for -ah- each other?"

"Yea, I guess that's what I get for being friends with a loser like you." Craig said leaning his arm around the back-rest part of the swing. He turned to Tweek with a small smile on his face, only to see Tweek slightly vibrating with sad eyes.

"GaH- I'm so sorry!"

"No, Tweek, I didn't actually mean it. It's sarcasm."

"O-oh..." Tweek said with a sigh of relief, letting his hand drift upwards to lightly tug at a stray strain of hair.

"After that night I saw you... cry... I guess I realized that I've been pretty insensitive about everything. I want to just say sorry for everything I've said, I've been a dick to you. You don't deserve that, or any of this that's happening. Which is why I'm going going to stay by your side. I want you as my friend."

"Ah- thank you, Craig. A-And I'm sorry for avoiding you this week, I hoped it would fix things..."

"It's alright, but you don't have to. I'm here to go through this with you, I don't want you to have to go through this alone."

"But what about what people will think of you?! Ngh!"

"I don't care anymore, their opinions are shitty anyway."

"AGh! Okay."

The conversation came to a pause, and Craig let his eyes wander to Tweek. Tweek was visibly calmer and now sat with his hands in his lap.

Craig took in his looks. Craig's eyes shamelessly stared at Tweek, looking from the bottom to the top. It was only now that he took in Tweek's swollen cheek. Tweek was always covered in bandages, but this one was visibly stood out to Craig.

Tweek had made sure his face was almost completely un-swollen before school let out, knowing that he'd see Craig. Tweek knew if anyone was to ask him about it, it would be Craig.

"How did you get that swollen cheek?"

"Um, I fell, and landed on my f-face.."

"That's not very convincing. Did someone do this to you?" Craig said, taking his hand to cup Tweek's cheek. He made sure he only lightly brushed over it with his thumb, he didn't want to hurt Tweek. He examined it a little closer, it definitely didn't look self-inflicted.

"Gah! No w-way! I'm just clumsy!"

"If you say so... but if I see someone tries to hurt you, I'm going to intervene. Just a heads up, I might punch someone if they try to bully you."

"N-not necessary, but thanks..."

"I better head out. Before I go though, I ant you to know that, I'm really sorry. I've been a bad guy because I've been treating you as if you didn't have your own opinions and feelings. I regret a lot of things, and I just hope you can forgive me."

Craig had stood up, and was now looking down at Tweek; who quickly jumped up from the swing.

"O-Of course, I forgive you!"

Craig smiled and gave Tweek a soft pat on the head. Tweek lifted Craig's hand off with a small laugh. Then, Tweek walked Craig back to his car.

"Bye Craig."

"Bye Tweekster, see you at school."

Craig got into his car, and started the engine. As soon as the rumble started up, he drove down the road. The smile on his face was yet to leave, he just felt too happy to pull it off. It definitely wasn't his usual resting face, it was a odd change for Craig to experience. Not that he minded.

Tweek watched Craig leave, a smile tugging on his own lips as well. Tomorrow may be different, Tweek repeated to himself as he walked inside his house.

Life was hard on Tweek. He never got a break, or so it felt. He often felt like a broken record, being played on loop to only be scratched more. Yet, something about being with Craig, made time feel like it was moving forward. It made time feel real, to Tweek, and made him feel as if he was actually moving.

He often felt stuck, but time flew when he spent his time with Craig. Even as kids, this was true. Young Tweek and Craig were much different from now.

Back then, they had sleepovers and no worries about tomorrow's problems. Maybe that's why Tweek felt his whole childhood flew right by him. Because he was beside Craig, and Craig was beside him.

Not just physically, but as children they actually spoke. They were real friends. During high school much of that connection was lost, and only now was it being recovered.