Chapter Three

I fasten the red strings behind my waist while I walk behind the counter. Ruby and her Granny smile at me but I can tell I'm about to get my ass chewed out by Granny.

"You're late Swan!" She hisses while peering over her glasses. The frames slip a little further down her nose as her hands rest upon her hips.

"I know! I'm so sorry Granny, but I had to put the kids to bed and Drew needed a bath tonight. I'm so sorry!" I whine to the older woman and pout out my bottom lip in hopes she will take pity on me.

"Alright, I'm only letting it slide because you haven't been late in awhile."

"Thank you!" I smile brightly and kiss the older woman on the cheek.

Ruby's Granny has been like a mother figure to me over the past ten years and I try my hardest not to ever let the woman down.

"It's actually slow right now anyways, why don't you two get started on filling the salt and pepper shakers," the older woman instructs us as she counts the drawer.

"Of course." I grab a tray and begin working my way around the booths in Granny's diner. "Hey Granny, I have a steady babysitter now, so if I could pick up more shifts at night or on the weekends that would be great."

"Honey, don't you think you should be spending your free time with your children?"

"Wouldn't that be the American dream," I sass with an eye roll. "If I don't make some decent cash soon, I'm going to lose that house. My kids need a roof over their heads and food on the table more than they need my attention."

"Oh come on Emma, who are you trying to kid? Your children are out of control and they only act that way because they crave your attention," Ruby retorts putting me back into my place.

"There's nothing I can do about it Rubes, not now," I snap right back at my friend as I begin to loose my temper.

I hate this topic of conversation because there's literally nothing I can do about it. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I either stop working as much and pay closer attention to my children which will mean I lose the house. Or I work my ass off and provide them with a home and food leaving me with crazy children.

"Well you have your new babysitter so maybe she can help straighten your children out!" Ruby mocks before she disappears into the kitchen.

"Doubtful," I huff to myself because nobody can tame my wild animals.

A small bing above the door breaks us from our conversation causing me to exhale loudly before I greet this customer. A ruggedly handsome man who never seems to take no for an answer.

He slides into the red bar stool flashing me his most cocky grin. I roll my eyes and slap down a flimsy plastic menu.

"Hello lovely!"

"Hi Killian, what will it be? And before you start, no I do not have the winning lottery numbers, no I will not dip my finger in your coffee to sweeten it up and we are fresh out of dates!"

"Aw come on Emma, why do you gotta be like that," he pouts but his icy blue eyes still dance with excitement.

"Have you fallen recently and hit your head?" The scruffy man crinkles his nose not being able to grasp my obvious ridicule. "Did you forget about my three reason why I will never date you?"

Ruby laughs loudly across the small diner. I glance her way with a malicious smirk across my face.

"Let's count the ways Emma!" Ruby taunts jumping on the bandwagon of belittling this man. "Reason number one, Henry."