Chapter Sixteen

I know my spoiled, gold-digging husband was speaking next to me but I heard nothing but muffled rambling. Hot tears were rolling down my cheeks as I kept my head hung low and silently cried. Every time I closed my eyes I saw my beautiful babies begging for me to stay. Emma's babies. Not mine. How the hell could she do something like that to me?

I understand that I was cruel to her while she worked for me. I was selfish, rude and completely out of line for pushing her and her tools overboard, but does that justify her actions? Taking me into her home and forcing me to be her slave? No, she had no right to treat another human being so atrociously. That blonde made me sleep on her couch, cook for her, raise her appalling children and clean her pig sty of a home.

Well, if I'm being completely honest with myself, she only treated me like an incompetent maid for the first two weeks. After that we turned a corner in our...relationship? Can I even call it a relationship if she was simply faking it the whole time? Was she faking all the time we shared romantically?

Emma was so adamant on keeping her distance at first that I accused her of cheating. Maybe she was pushing me away because she felt guilty. Maybe she felt like she would be taking advantage because I didn't have my memories.

A small hiccup escaped my mouth forcing me to slap a hand over my mouth as the realization washed over me. I came on to her. I practically begged the woman to take me. Oh god. I was all over her, just throwing myself at her like a desperate housewife. That's what I was at the time right? A housewife, who thought her wife was cheating on her, so I begged for her attention. Oh god.

"Ms. Mills." I blinked several times before I finally lifted my head to meet Sydney's gaze. I quickly brushed away my tears and watched my butler's face soften. I think for the first time since I've met him, he actually felt sympathetic toward my life. With a small smile, the man offered me his hand. I hesitantly placed mine inside of his warm palm because I wasn't one hundred percent sure I wanted to go back home. "Come now, your mother is waiting."

I sighed and allowed Sydney to escort me back to my yacht. I quickly glanced around me to find Jefferson already boarding. I rolled my eyes mostly to myself and began making my way.

"My mother came here from New York?"

"Yes ma'am. She was very worried about you," Sydney curtly answered as we stepped onto my yacht. "Mr. Mills has already told the captain we are to descend back to New York once we board."

"Of course he did." I stopped abruptly before we came into view of my mother and husband. I curled my hand around Sydney's elbow, forcing him to stop walking. "Sydney, where has Jefferson been? How come it took him three months to find me?"

The older man cleared his throat as he searched for the right words to say.

"Regina! Darling!" My mother gasped with her hand resting upon her chest. I straightened my posture immediately from the sound of her voice and offered her a half smile.

"Mother."

"In the name of Dolce and Gabbana, what on Earth are wearing my dear?" I couldn't stop my eyes from rolling.

"Mother-"

"Come darling, let's change you into something more your style," she suggested as she pulled me into a hug.

My mother might be a stuck up snob but she has always been my best friend and always expresses her love for me. I can only imagine her worry from not hearing from me in over three months. I can almost guarantee she is the reason Jefferson has come to find me. I know he doesn't give a damn about my well being.