Chapter Fifteen

"Hello Jefferson," Roni casually greeted her husband without any thought and entered our home.

The front screen door slammed shut but not once person seemed to notice. We were all lost in the whirlwind of our own thoughts and fears, sucking us into a dazed vortex. Roni's husband, along with their butler Sydney, Ruby, the boys and myself all stared dumbfounded at the front door, waiting for the brunette to reappear.

Finally the front door swung open again with a wide eyed brunette staggering out the door and down the steps. She's still holding Drew in her arms but now my daughter is awake. Roni stumbles her way over to me with her mouth hanging open.

"I remember," she breathlessly whispers as I lean forward to pull my sleepy daughter from her arms. Ruby was quick to take Drew from my embrace and hold her close. My friend knew just as well as I, that this wasn't going to be pretty.

Roni reaches up to rub her temples as she glances around at all the familiar faces staring at her.

"I remember," she mutters again. "I just-I just walked into the house and poof, all my memories came flooding back." She takes a few steps toward her husband with an excited smile but nobody around her was returning the gesture. "Jefferson, I saw you...and just," she snaps her fingers in awe and chuckles softly to herself, "...everything clicked. Everything fell into place."

"That's wonderful Regina," Jefferson coldly comments, standing tall and as still as a statue.

"Regina!" The woman groans with glee and clasps her hands together with joy." My name is Regina Mills! I'm an interior designer, the best actually...with money. Oh god, so much money! Even some in Switzerland!"

"What?" Jefferson questions as his face falls in confusion.

Roni- well formally Roni, now Regina...of course her name is Regina. Regina squeals with excitement as she rushes to my side. Her palms rest flat against my chest as she smiles brightly. "I remember Emma! I remember everything! You have no idea how wonderful this feeling is, to remember once again! Thank you! Thank you so much, for bringing me here and making me a mother and a wife and..." the woman trails off as she stiffens against my body causing me to wince. She slowly pulls away and I watch as her face falls, ultimately pushing my heart to shatter. "Why? Why did you bring me here?"

My mouth dries up but I still force my mouth to pop open but nothing comes out. Her face grows cold exactly like it was three month ago on her yacht.

"I know why," she whispers, "you're that awful woman who fixed my bathroom. You hate me." Her face turns into a scowl as she grits her teeth. "You used me. For what? Some sort of payback," she bites in disgust but then her eyes shift toward our-my kids. "Those are your kids and you," her voice cracks as thick tears build, "you made me believe that they-" she cuts herself off and shakes her head, growing angry once again. "Say something."

I hardly have time to muster up some sorry excuse that will never make things right before she smacks me across the face. My head falls to the side as I squeeze my eyes closed. The sting doesn't even compare to the way my heart is aching right now.

"Well that's fair," Ruby mumbles from somewhere behind me only causing me to roll my eyes.

"Roni, I-"

The woman instantly takes a step back as her jaw flexes with hate.

"My name is not Roni. It's Regina," her voice is so low and so cold, I begin to tremble all over again. "I don't belong with you." She takes another step back and casts her eyes to the ground, refusing to look at me or the kids. "And I don't belong with them." Regina nods in the direction of my children and turns around on her heel with her head hung low. "I'm just going to pack my stuff." She stomps her way into our home and let's the door fall closed behind her.