Chapter Fourteen

I examine this woman before me with a crucial eye as she cuts up my daughter's food. Drew is five years old, there's no need for her food to be chopped up that small. I'm actually worried that there's nothing left for her to do but swallow and now she might choke.

How can this be the same selfish, insensitive, cold hearted bitch, that I met three months ago? There's no possible way that Miss Prissy Pants, would've ever cut up food for a child. She was definitely one of those people who would put on her oxygen mask during a plane crash and then not help the person next to her because she would want a back up in case hers failed. I scowl at my fake wife for a moment but when she feels my eyes are on her, she glances up to meet my gaze and offers me a warm smile. I instantly feel my heart soften and I smile right back. I'm so screwed with this woman.

My kids have been giving me the silent treatment since we arrived at the restaurant. I've tried everything from being sticky sweet, to bribing them, to yelling at them. Nothing worked. Even Ruby and Roni tried defending my honor but nothing wiped those insolent looks off their faces.

Halfway through the meal, Roni excused herself to the restroom. As soon as she was out of ear shot, I leaned into the table and whisper shouted at my children.

"Alright guys, enough! Drop those attitudes toward me."

"Why? You're trying to make Roni leave," Henry defends as his face contorts into a hateful scowl.

"That situation is over. It's done with. She didn't believe me anyways, so let's drop it. She's obviously staying," I snap at my children hoping they will stop sulking and I might actually be able to enjoy this celebratory dinner.

"So you promise she's not leaving," Max hesitantly asks with his fork suspended in mid air.

"I won't kick her out, as long as she wants to stay, she's staying," I vow with confidence while making a point to look into each one of my children's eyes.

A sudden swift kick to my shin causes me to flick my attention to my best friend. "Ow! Rude!"

"She's coming," Ruby mutters through clenched teeth causing me to straighten my posture and continue eating like we weren't just talking about her.

The smile that's gracing Roni's face is enough to send my heart soaring. Before I can even think twice, my face is mimicking hers and the only reason I know, is from the way my cheeks ache. She slips into her seat next to me and brushes back a loose strand from Drew's braid. Her eyes are filled to the rim with love as she smiles down upon my daughter.

Roni's hand slips beneath the table to rest on top of my thigh. Her fingers flex the slightest bit causing me to squirm from her touch.

"So, this is where you want to be? Memories or not?" The words are pouring from my mouth without my permission. Everyone at the table drops their forks and exhales rather loudly, clearly expressing their obvious frustrations with me but I just need to know. This is something I will probably ask her for the rest of our lives so everyone better just get used to it.

Roni chuckles softly as she leans into my personal space. Her hand tightens around my thigh as a salacious smirk slides across her face. Those big brown eyes flutter close while she gently presses her full lips against mine. My eyes fall closed from the glorious connection as I relish in the peaceful moment. Roni slowly pulls away eliciting a soft snap of our lips from pulling apart. The sexy little noise does things to my body that wouldn't be appropriate in public...or around my children.

"Memories or not, this is my home. You are my home," she promises with conviction before fully pulling away and settling back down in her seat.

"Okay then will you marry me?"