Chapter Thirteen

My cheeks actually hurt from how wide I've been smiling. I pulled my yellow bug into the driveway and threw my car into park. I glanced around my house and for the first time, it was a home. There were no longer over grown grass or twigs scattered all around. The outside was now warm and inviting with flowers that Roni had planted. The porch wasn't filled with cobwebs and the windows were crystal clear. This was a happy home now.

I climbed out of my car and jogged to the front door. The moment I stepped inside, my heart swelled with so much love. Henry was helping Max read a book while Roni was French braiding Drew's hair.

"Mommy look!" Drew exclaimed as she cautiously ran her fingers against the back of her braid. "So much better than your ponytails!" A small chuckle escaped as I nodded in agreement. I was never good at doing her hair and she always had something to say about it.

Roni kissed the top of Drew's head and patted her bottom, silently instructing her to stand. Drew jumped up and ran over to her brothers. Roni sashayed her way over to where my feet were firmly rooted.

"So...." Roni inquires while sliding her arms around my neck.

"I got it," I whispered.

"You got it?" She breathlessly replies while holding my gaze.

"I did."

"You did!" She exclaims with the biggest grin I've ever seen. Her big brown eyes sparkle with not only love but pride. She yanks my face to hers and kisses me with determination. I can't stop the giggle that slips from my mouth and into hers. "Emma I'm so proud of you! I knew you could do it! This is going to change so much for us." I nod like an idiot and connect our lips one last time.

"This is all because of you," I praise.

"Come on," Roni drags me over to the couch and pushes me down. I chuckle as she sits down next to me. She tucks her feet beneath her while resting her knees on my thighs. She places her elbow on the back of the couch and leans on her hand. "Tell me all about it."

"Well Greg went in before I did. He was shooting me nasty looks the whole time but I didn't care. He's an asshole." Roni purses her lips as her eyes drift toward our kids, a silent scolding for my language. "Sorry. Anyways, when I went in there, I explained that I used to work for Greg and that I decided to open my own business since I was already doing everything for him anyways. So then I low balled the account, it'll be me and Ruby working so I don't have to factor in paying a bunch of people. Are you ready for this next part?"

"Yes, of course," she beams while her eyes dance with anticipation.

"My hot wife gets full reign on the design."

"Seriously?"

"Yes seriously! This is all because of you! I showed Mr. Gold some of your designs and he loved them." Roni squeals as she grips the back of my neck and pulls me into a steamy kiss. I run my hand up her bare thigh and squeeze just below the bottom of her jean shorts. I slowly pull away and smile from ear to ear. "We start next week."

"Emma do you realize if Mr. Gold actually likes our work, what this could mean for you? Renovating a motel could really put you on the map."

"Us. Put us on the map," I correct Roni causing her face to break out into a huge grin. "I love you Roni and you made all of this happen. I could never thank you enough." I cup her cheek and slide my thumb across her flesh. She leans into my affection and lightly kisses my palm.

"That's what wives are for."

I lean forward and connect our foreheads. I close my eyes and try to memorize how incredible this moment feels because I'm not sure how much longer Miss Mills will be Roni for.