Chapter 3

I still haven't calmed down. I sit with Caleb in the living room and I refuse to let him leave my side. I was freaking out so bad the entire car ride that I honestly don't even remember getting home. I just remember Caleb sitting me on the couch as I attempted to catch my breath. No matter how many times I breathe in, air still doesn't seem to come into my lungs.
     "Jace. Jace calm down," he says firmly. He pulls me into his chest and holds me there. "Listen to my heartbeat. Remember that?" I nod. It's been a long time since Caleb has had to make me listen to his heartbeat in order to calm down. But I do remember it.
    I take breaths in tune with his heartbeat and let it slowly calm me down. I'm breathing normally now and Caleb begins to talk. "Jace, what happened?"
     I take a deep breath and begin to speak. "I was waiting for the bus when I saw this guy staring at me. He just kept looking at me and he suddenly started running towards me. I ran into the clothing store and he walked away."
     "Could you see what he looked like," Caleb asks and I shake my head. "All I know is that he had on a hoodie, but he was too far away for me to see his face. I'm sorry Caleb."
     "Don't be sorry. It's not your fault. I'll call Officer Steven and tell him what happened. You go on and shower and I'll make us some dinner." I nod my head, not finding it in me to even speak. I stand up and walk into the bathroom.
     The water from the shower feels like heaven against my body. My legs are sore from running so the water helps soothe them. When I'm finished showering, I wrap the towel around me and walk into my room. As I'm changing into my pajamas, I hear a yell from downstairs. I run into the kitchen to see Caleb leaning against the counter, his hand on his chest. I look over at the kitchen window and notice that the kitchen window is broken. A brick lies on the floor, surrounded by glass.
     Caleb notices me standing in the doorway and rushes towards me. "Are you okay," I ask. He seems panicked and it's rare for me to ever see him like that. He nods but his eyes tell me a different story. "Yeah I'm fine. I was just a little scared. Are you hurt."
     "I should be asking you that," I say. Caleb chuckles but it doesn't hold any humor. It sounds dry and forced. "I'm fine," he says. "Luckily, it didn't hit me." I look at the brick and Caleb follows my gaze. He walks over to it and picks it up, chucking it out of the broken window. He takes a tablecloth from out of the kitchen closet and tacks it up to the broken window. "Just until we can get it fixed," he says.
    We eat our food in silence and head upstairs for bed. Before Caleb can disappear into his room, I grab his wrist. He looks at me. "Um, is it okay if I sleep with you tonight?"
    It's embarrassing to admit but I'm honestly to scared to sleep alone tonight. After tonight's events, I'm scared that something else could happen. Caleb smiles understandingly and nods. "Of course you can." I run quickly to my room to grab Harry and then run back to Caleb's room.
     I lie down in his bed and I feel the bed dip as he lays down next to me. It's weird. I used to be so terrified of sleeping near anyone. Whenever I slept with my dad, he would take the opportunity to touch me and hurt me. But I don't feel scared around Caleb. I feel like he would never hurt me. Not like that monster that I call my father.

       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    My pen zooms across my notepad as I take orders from the family of 5. When I finish taking their orders, I walk to Bonnie at the counter and hand her the notepad. She looks at it and nods, going into kitchen at the back of the diner. Bonnie doesn't cook but her job is simple. She takes orders at the counter for anyone that just wants a quick snack or coffee. If there's no one at the corner then she takes our orders to the cook. When I first started working here, I always wondered why she was always at the counter. At first I just thought that it was because she didn't feel like doing her job.
    Bonnie gives me the plates full of food and I quickly take them to the table that holds the family. They say thank you and dig in. I walk back towards the counter and sit down. There isn't really anyone here today. Other than the family that I just served, there's one other guy at a small booth drinking a coffee. Hailey told me that he's a regular here and to just let him be.
    My mind drifts onto the recent events back at home. After Caleb called Officer Steven, a report was filed but due to lack of evidence, there isn't really much for them to go off of. I sigh and look at my hands. Over the stress of what's been going on at home, my hands are shakey and my arms itch. I know what this means. I've been able resist it though and I usually do something to keep me busy.
    "Why do you look so sad?" I look up to see Mike. He sits down next to me. "By the way, the family that you were serving left. I saw you looking so deep in thought and sad that I decided to get their bill for them." He puts money in my hand and when I look at him confused he says, "Your tip."
     "You didn't have to do that," I say. I don't want Mike to have to handle the burden of doing my job because I can't handle my home life. "I know, but I wanted to," he says. "Thank you," I say.  He smiles at me and I shyly smile back. I stand up and clean up the tables, cleaning and wiping them down.
     "Jace." I look at Mr.Aubrey as he comes out of his office. He gestures for me to come inside and I walk in. Mr.Aubrey hands me an envelope and I look at it curiously. "It's your check," he says chuckling. I nod and blush at my cluelessness. "That's what I'm required to give you but I'm sure that you already know that most of your check is made up of the tips that you receive, right?" I nod. "I know sir." He chuckles and sits down at his desk. "You don't have to call me sir, you know. You can just call me Mr.Aubrey. I nod. "Okay si-Mr.Aubrey." He laughs again and I walk out of the office.
     The small envelope feels like s thousand pounds in my pocket and I can't help but feel a little giddy inside. It's my first check and I feel responsible. Almost like an adult. I know that I'm still a kid but I don't let that sway the happiness that I feel inside.
      My shift is over and I walk towards the bus stop. As I wait for the bus, I stay near a group of people this time. The bus comes and I pay the driver before sitting down.
      I get off at my stop and make the walk home. The walk isn't as long as it was in Caleb's old house, which I'm thankful for. Taking that long of a walk will really wear you out, especially when you're already tired.
    I open the door, surprised to see Caleb home.  "Hey," I say and Caleb looks at me. He smiles and says hi before going back to the mail that he was reading. I walk up to Caleb smiling and take the envelope out of my pocket. I hand it to him and he looks at it quizzically. "What's this?"
    "My paycheck," I say smiling. He shakes his head. "I can see that, but why are you giving it to me."
     "I want it to go towards the bills." Caleb looks at me sternly. "Jace, I can't accept this. I don't want you to have to worry about these kinds of things." I sigh and match Caleb's stern look with one of my own.
     "I'm helping you pay the bills Caleb. I'm not letting you pay everything on your own." Caleb sighs and looks at the envelope, then at me. "How about this," he says. "Half will go towards the bills and you'll keep the other half. This way you can help with the house and still have some money to yourself."
     I think about it for a second. My plan was to have the entire paycheck go towards the bills. But if it makes Caleb happy, then I'll take half. "Fine," I sigh. "You've got a deal." He smiles and ruffles my hair. I glare and him and he chuckles, hanging me another envelope.
     "It's to you," he says and walks into the kitchen. I open the envelope to see that it's a letter and read it.
      Dear Jace,
It's been so long since I've seen you, and I miss you so much. You're such a sweet boy. Your kind words and heart can make any cold-hearted man feel something for the first time. I think about you every day and night, and I miss you even more. I would leave to be able to see you again. To hear your voice. To one day hold your hand. I long to hug you again and take in the smell of that strawberry shampoo that you love so much. It is a lot of ask, I beg of you to come and see me in this dark abyss that I call a home. I miss you so much Jace and I love you with all of my heart.

                                                                 Love,
                                                                        Dad