Chapter 29

Hi guys!!!!!! I'm so so so sorry that I haven't updated in so long!! I know that you couldn't care less about my excuses for not writing, so here you go!!! I hope you love it!!!!

       Bright light enters the room of the hospital, causing me to squint. I groggily sit up and rub my eyes. I look up, and at Caleb. He sleeps soundly on the hospital bed, soft quiet snores escaping his mouth. Unconsciously, my hand begins to hold Caleb's, and I smile when I don't feel as much bone there. He's been gaining his weight back in the long weeks that he's been in the hospital. These last few weeks especially have been Hell. Night terrors for me, and just pure pain for Caleb. I look up at his sleeping face. Color has finally returned to him and he doesn't look like a ghost anymore.
      I scoot the chair back a little further so that I can comfortably rest my head back down onto the hospital bed. If Caleb knew how long I've been here just sitting here watching over him, he would kill me. I was technically discharged from the hospital almost two days ago, but when I don't go home to shower or eat in the cafeteria, I use my time watching over him. Mike is at work as a waiter in a restaurant so he's busy during the day. I'm a little glad for that. He worries about me because I spend all of my time here. But I can't help it. Leaving Caleb's side honestly scares me. After everything that has happened I made a promise to myself that I would never let anything like that ever happen again. I squeeze Caleb's hand a little tighter.

        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

     A while later, I'm still sitting with my head on Caleb's hospital bed. I let my eyes drift over to the clock on the wall, and see that it's been 3 hours. It's almost 2:00. I notice that Caleb's grip on my hand tightens, and I look up at him. His eyes flutter open, revealing his hazel irises. "How long have you been here?" He asks. I roll my eyes. So much for a good morning, I think bitterly. "For a while," I tell him, and he nods. I sit up, my back popping in the process, and I wince. "Pretty long while huh," Caleb chuckles. I glare at him, but eventually, I chuckle too. "A very long while."
      I hear footsteps walk into the room, and I look over at the door. Mike walks in, a confused look on his face. "Something wrong?" I ask. "There's a girl here for you," he says. From down the hallway, I hear someone yelling. "I told you that I'm not just some girl! My name is Ali!! Now let me see Jace or I swear to God him and his brother won't be the only ones needing a doctor!"
     I wince at her booming voice, and laugh nervously. "Um it's fine. She can come in." Mike nods and turns his head. "Come on." Feet run down the hallway, and before I know it, I feel myself being lifted up from the hospital chair. "Jace!" Ali yells into my ears loudly. She makes me stand up, hugging me so tight that I feel like my oxygen is being cut off. "A-Ali," I gasp out. "I c-can't breathe."
    "Oh sorry!" She quickly lets go and I take a deep breath. Once my breathing is normal again, I take a good look at Ali and smile. Her hair is slightly longer and she has a hint of a tan. Other than that, she hasn't changed a single bit. I hug Ali tightly. She gasps and hugs me back.
    "I missed you so much," I whisper. "I missed you too," she whispers back to me. Something wet hits my shoulder, and I look at Ali. A few tears run down her face. My heart clinches, and I realize how selfish I've been this entire time. I told Ali not to come home when she only wanted to see me, I didn't answer her calls, and I don't even know how she found out that I was in the hospital. I stopped talking Ali for so long that I forgot how she must've felt. I hug her tighter, not letting my tears make themselves known. "I'm so sorry Ali."
    "It's okay." We hug for a few moments, and when we finally pull away, I notice Mike glaring at Ali, a dangerous look plastered on his face. Ali follows my gaze, and glares back at Mike. "So Jace, mind telling the name of the jerk trying to keep me from seeing you." I laugh nervously, a blushing creeping onto my face. "Mike, this is my best friend Ali. Ali this Mike, my b-boyfriend." Ali glares at Mike for a little longer, and suddenly, she breaks out in a grin.
     "So it seems you finally found yourself a boyfriend? Well it's about time." She walks over to Mike and extends her hand. Mike looks at her, surprised, before extending his own hand and shaking it. "Nice to meet you," he says. "Sorry about what happened. I didn't know that you two knew each other." Ali smiles brightly and laughs. "Oh it's fine." Even from here, I notice how Ali tightens her grip on Mike harshly, making him wince. "But the next time you try to keep me from my best friend, here's a word of advice. Don't." Mike nods, sweat forming on his forehead, and she lets go.
      Ali turns back to me. He gaze wanders over to Caleb, and her eyes, which were once cold and mean, softens considerably. "I assume that you and Caleb already know each other, so there's no need for introductions," I say, hoping the lighten the gloomy mood that seems to have came from no where. Ali nods, but her gaze is still sad as it lingers on Caleb. A chuckle fills the room, and I look over a Caleb. "It's okay for you to say that I look like shit. There's no need in hiding it since I already know." Ali laughs and smiles at Caleb. "Well, you look like shit." We all laugh, and I sit next to Mike in the chair, while Ali opts to stand, leaning against the wall.
      For the next few hours, we all laugh and talk. I smile so much that my cheeks hurt, and as we talk, I make a mental note to never forget moments like these. It's one of the few times in my life that I feel normal. It's so strange. Normally, I wouldn't mind being alone right now. Not talking to anyone. Just being my own company. But now, I don't feel that anymore. I feel like if I'm not with my friends, then I don't even have a reason to be alive. It's strange being surrounded by people. It's...peaceful.