Chapter 9

When Caleb gets up the next day, I'm already up making breakfast. He walks into the kitchen looking like shit. He changes his clothes and showered, but he has dark bags under his eyes and his hair is tousled. He groans and puts his head on the table.
     I sit his plate of pancakes in front of him. He smiles at me but I don't smile back. Instead, I just turn back towards the stove and turn off the burner. I don't say anything to Caleb. I wash the dishes, pack my stuff, and get ready to leave.
    Caleb must notice my sour mood because before I leave the house, he calls my name. I turn around towards him, my face completely emotionless.
     "Is everything okay," he asks. I guess he doesn't remember anything about last night. In his mind, he probably just went out for a drink, got home, and passed out drunk on his bed. "I'm fine," I say. I leave the house and make my way to work. When I get to work, I change into my uniform and start my shift.
     As the day progresses on, my mood begins to lighten. I talk to Bonnie and Hailey. The customers that I serve are polite and treat me kindly. Eventually, I forget about Caleb all together. After work, I walk home with Bonnie. She lives near the bus stop and got off early today. Melrose had to close a little early since Mr.Aubrey had to go home for family business.
     We walk towards the bus stop and Bonnie turn to me. "Those guys haven't been bothering you, have they?" I shake my head smiling. "Nope. Ever since you kicked Adam's ass, I haven't even seen them." Bonnie laughs and ruffles my hair. Why does everyone I meet feel the need to do that?
     I pout and fix my hair, making Bonnie laugh. "I'll see ya later Jace." Bonnie turns and crosses the street. The bus comes up to the stop and I'm about to get in when I notice something. A black car speeds down the road and towards Bonnie. She can't see it. My heart pumps faster as I yell to Bonnie.
     "Bonnie! Look out!" I'm too late though. The car hits Bonnie, full force. She flies through the air and hits the ground again. I hear an audible crack. The car speeds away, not stopping once. I run towards Bonnie, kneeling down next to her. I glance at the car. Caleb told me that if a car ever runs away from a crime scene, then look for a plate. To my dismay, the black car doesn't have a plate on it. It drives down the street and eventually, out of my sight.
     I look back at Bonnie and she has blood covering every inch of her. Her eyes are firmly shut and she doesn't look like she's breathing. I press my fingers to her neck, checking for a pulse. I press down so hard I almost leave finger marks on her. I feel a small thump. It's faint, but it's there. She's still alive. Relief fills me. Behind me, I hear someone calling for an ambulance. Bonnie's arm and leg are twisted in awkward positions. Blood leaks out of her stomach so I press down.
      When the ambulance gets there, they left me away from Bonnie and an officer leads me into a police car.

            ++++++++++++++++++++++++

     Detective Robinson and Detective Johnson both stare at me critically. Officer Robinson sighs. "Jace, this is the second crime scene that you were present at. What does that tell us." I stare at her in shock.
     "What, you think I did it," I yell. I was with Bonnie when she was hit. Someone hit her! You can ask the bus driver and the people in the bus. They saw the entire thing! If anything, I was trying to warn Bonnie!" I don't mean to yell but it just pisses me off that they would assume that I had anything to do with this.
     "We're not saying that Jace. You said that the driver of the vehicle did not stop correct?" I nod. "In that case, Detective Johnson and I have come to the conclusion that you're specifically being targeted by someone." I stare at the detective in shock. "So it's my fault that people are getting hurt then," I say.
     "We're not saying that, but we are saying that your family and friends are at risk." Detective Robinson walks around the metal table and takes a seat next to me. "Jace, we know about what happened with your father, and we're sorry for that. But is there anyone you know that might want to get revenge for him?" I look at the table and answer, "Mason."
      "What?"
      "My dad had a friend named Mason. He's been harassing me these last few days, but I never though that he would go this far. I don't know much about him. You'll have to ask Caleb." She smiles. "He's already on his way here. Thank you Jace."
       A few moments later Caleb walks inside of the interrogation room. I don't look at him. The detectives ask me to step out of room while they talk to Caleb and I do. I sit outside of the door and wait for the end of Caleb's interrogation. I pray that Bonnie's okay. When the ambulance was taking her away, I heard them yell that Bonnie's heart rate was decreasing.
     My phone lights up and I look at. You want to end your pain, but you don't look at the root of them. You can't run from your demons Jace. You'll be forced to confront them eventually.
      Before I can think about the message, an officer runs past me and into the interrogation room. I peak through the door to see him frantically talking to the detectives. Detective Robinson yells at him, then tells him to get out. The officer quickly scurries out of the room and Detective Johnson sighs angrily.
     "What's going on," I ask. Detective Robinson looks at me sympathetically before she begins to speak.
      "James is out of jail."