Chapter 12

I stand outside of the diner nervously. I look around for Mike constantly. I texted him an hour ago, asking him to meet me at Melrose. When he asked why, I just told him that it's important and that I really need to talk to him.
    I finally see Mike walking towards me. He smiles and I smile back nervously. He pulls me close to him and kisses my cheek. I wince slightly and he notices. "What's wrong," he asks pulling back. I sigh. "I have something that I want to tell you."
     He looks at me expectantly. "What is it?" I breathe in deeply. I can't believe that I'm about to do this.
     "We need to stop seeing each other." Mike looks at me for a moment, his expression unreadable. "What," he asks dumbly. "We need to stop seeing each other," I repeat.
      Mike's expression grows sad and hold my hands tighter. "I don't understand. W-was it something that I did?" I shake my head rapidly. "No you didn't do anything wrong. I just need to stay away from you for a while. It's for your own good."
     Mike looks at me skeptically. "My own good? What are you talking about?" I look around us nervously and Mike follows my gaze, understandably confused. "I can't tell you everything right now, just know that it's not safe to be around me."
      Mike looks at me angrily. "Look if you're not interested in me anymore, then just say it. Don't play these fucking mind games with me."
     "I'm not playing any games with you. I swear I'm telling you the truth. I really do like you Mike. It's just not safe for you to be near me right now." Mike scowls. "Whatever. If you want to play fucking games with me, then I'll play games with you. I never really liked you anyway." I stare at Mike heartbroken. No, he doesn't mean it. I know that he doesn't. Regardless, tears still stream down my face as I look at him. He looks back at me angrily.
     "I don't have time for this," he mutters walking away. He walks down the street and I think about going after him, but that would go against everything that I just said. I broke up with him to keep him safe. His words still echo in my head though and they fucking sting.
      I turn around and I look at the empty diner. When I first came here, it was my safe haven. I met new friends and I found happiness here. In there, nothing could hurt me. I was a completely different person. I wasn't the broken boy who was raped by his father. I was a normal person with friends. But now, it's just an empty building filled with nothing but memories. And it's my fault. I killed Bonnie and I cost everyone else their jobs and happiness.
    My phone rings and I take it out. Ali's voice vibrates the entire phone and burst my eardrums. "Jace guess what!" She yells it so loudly that I think that people across the street can hear her. "What?" My voice sounds tired and worn out. I can't help it though. I'm exhausted mentally and physically.
     "My mom said that if I want, we can come back home tomorrow!" I perk up. "No Ali! Don't come!"
     "What? Why not?" She's clearly confused and I understand why. "I'll explain everything to you later, but for now, don't come home. It's too dangerous."
     "Jace you're starting to scare me."
      "Listen Ali, I'll tell you later, but promise that you won't come home." She's silent for a few moments before she answers. "Jace I trust you. I don't know what's going on but if you say it's not safe, then it's not safe. I promise." I sigh in relief. "Thank you." I hang up the phone and put it back into my pocket.
       Whoever is messaging has exactly what they want now. I'm all alone. I don't have any friends and my brother hates me. They won.

         ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      "We gather here today to mourn the loss of our beloved Brooke Stiles." I sit next to Caleb in the church. We're both dressed in black pants with a black button-up shirt, and black dress shoes. We sit in the back of the church, Bonnie's family and some of her more closer friends near the front.
     I decided to come to Bonnie's funeral to be there for her one last time. She was always there for me whenever I needed her. I owe her this much. Even from back here, I can hear Abby's cries. They have an open casket but I didn't look.
     Throughout the rest of the funeral, I sit next to Caleb completely emotionless. I try my hardest not to cry as I watch Bonnie's casket get lowered into the ground. I look across from me and see Mike. He catches my gaze and glares at me, making me look away. One by one, people begin to leave. Soon it's just us, Abby and her husband, Mr.Aubrey and Hailey.
     "Come on," Caleb says and I nod. We make our way out of the cemetery when Hailey steps in front of me. Her eyes are puffy and red. Mascara runs down her face and she glares at me.
     "Why did you have to come," she whispers. "Everything was fine until you showed up. As soon as you came, things went to shit. Why did you get her killed!" She begins to punch on my chest crying. "Why did you have to get her killed!" Hailey continues punching against my chest until she is pulled away by Mike. She's still screaming at me as Mike holds her against him. "This is all your fault! Why couldn't you have just died instead!"
      "That's enough Hailey," Mike says. He's looking at her sternly and she matches his stern look with one of her own. Mike looks at me and glares. "I think that you should leave." I nod and leave. Of course he wouldn't do that to stick up for me. He wants me gone just as much as Hailey. He just has a different way of showing it.
     Once we get home, I rush into the bathroom, sinking to the floor. This is why I didn't want to go. I knew that I'd be blamed for Bonnie's death. It's not like I'm not taking responsibility for causing her death. I just don't want to be reminded that I'm the main reason that she's dead. Whoever is doing this wants to get to me and they killed 3 innocent people to do it. 3 people who would've been more useful to the world than me. Bonnie and Kyle were just good people in general, Mrs.Conwell was a therapist. She helped people daily.
     And I cussed their deaths. My arms begin to itch and I scratch harshly at them. But scratching them won't do it anymore. They cry for the blade.
     I open the bathroom cabinet and take out the razor. I hold it in my hand, staring at the shiny metal.
     Could I really do this? After I promised Caleb that I wouldn't do it anymore. But it doesn't matter because he hates me. He doesn't care if anything happened to me. No one does anymore. Everyone either wants me dead or just don't care if I do wind up dead.
     I pull up my sleeve and hold the blade against my skin. I run the razor across my arm. One for each person that winded up dead because of me. Then one for each person who wants me dead. I do the same to my other arm and soon, the bathroom floor is coated in blood. Every time I run the razor against my skin, relief floods through me. I ignore the sting and bask in the feeling of the blade scratching my arm. I sit down and lean against the tub.
      I must have cut too deep because my vision is getting blurry. I don't care anymore. This is what I deserve. If I'm dead, then everyone will be much happier. Caleb wouldn't have to worry about taking care of a burden like me and he can finally move on with his life.
      Sleepiness creeps up on me and I don't fight it. I just let the darkness consume me whole.