Chapter 27

I don't trust that smug look that he wears on his face. My heart pounds in my chest, and I know that he's up to something. Caleb seems just as nervous as me, and stares at my dad. The room is so silent, that you could hear a pin drop. The creepy atmosphere is thick and suffocating.
      My dad looks over at Caleb, and begins to walk towards him. My heart pounds with anticipation and fear. If he finds that razor, we're done for. My body begins to get feeling again, and my heartbeat goes faster. His foot slams into Caleb chest and he cries out. My dad soon begins to punch and kick Caleb over and over again. His hands wrap around Caleb's neck and he chokes his. Caleb's face is completely red as he struggles for breath. I have to help. I have to help.
      My fingers and toes curl, and I begin to sit up. Caleb glances at me, then back at my dad. He wants me to stay still. My dad catches Caleb's gaze though, and looks back at me. He quirks an eyebrow, and I try to make my body as limp as possible.
      He slowly stands up and I hear his feet shuffle towards me, and I close my eyes. Please go away. Please don't notice anything. I open my eyes again only to see my dad standing right over me. He eyes me suspiciously, his eyes gazing down at my body. I try to stay as limp as I can, hoping that I'll just fool him. He turns back around, and I think that I successfully tricked him. Suddenly, he turns around, and stomps his foot down hard on my stomach. I instinctively grab my stomach and cry out. While it does feel good to have my limbs moving again, I know that I just blew our cover.
     I look up at my dad, and he smirks at me. "Did you really think that you could trick me Jace?"
     "I was honestly hoping for that, you sick fuck," I spat at him. This seems to piss him off because his foot stomps down on my stomach even harder. I wheeze as the air leaves my body. He stomps down again, pressing his foot hard onto my stomach, and I cough violently. Blood trickles out of my mouth, and down my chin. My insides feel like they're being crushed. He increases the pressure, and I can't breathe. I grab his ankle and scratch at it. This doesn't seem to affect him, as the pressure increases even more.
      The pressure of his foot disappears, and I gasp for breathe. My moment of relief is shattered though when his foot returns, this time on my throat. Now I really can't breathe. "S-Stop," I wheeze. My dad shows no emotion as he stares down at me. He lifts his foot back up and I cough, gasping for breath.
      "You should really learn to stop pissing me off Jace," he says. "Do you think I like punishing you like this?" I stare at him incredulously. Clearly he does like this shit because he always finds a reason to do it. I'm sure if I even breathe wrong, he'll do it. But I keep my mouth shut in fear of angering him again. He walks over to Mason's body, and kneels down next to it.
      Mason's eyes are still wide open, staring at the ceiling. They may be cold and dead, but you can still see the shock and betrayal that he felt before he died. My dad takes 2 fingers and run them down Mason's face, over his eyes, closing them. "This man was a fool. He always used his fists and dick instead of his brain. He let his dick take control of his thoughts, and that's what got him killed." His voice raises slightly and becomes angrier as he talks. "I know that he left you to die." He glances at me, but I only continue to stare at Mason's body. At least now I don't have to be afraid about looking at him. He's dead. He can't tell me to stop staring.
      "When I found out about what happened, I wanted to kill him," my dad continues. "But I didn't. As much as I hated it, I still needed him. Besides, I knew that it was only a matter of time before I got my revenge." He chuckles and shakes his head. "Oh Mason, you should have known better than to say something like that. I knew that you were stupid, but that was just pure idiotic." Eventually, he blows into a fit of laughter. He throws his head back and laughs as if it's the funniest thing in the world.
      Once he's calm again, he looks at Caleb. "How does it feel to be raped again by the same guy who molested you years prior?" I can hear the smugness in his voice, and it makes my blood boil. Caleb doesn't reply, and instead, looks at the ground. That was low, even for someone like my dad. And the fact that he finds amusement in it, just makes it worse. "Fuck you," Caleb whispers so silently, that if the room wasn't so quiet, I would've had to strain my ears to hear it. "What was that?" My dad asks chuckling. "You'll have to speak up."
      He laughs again. He's completely insane. Caleb looks up at my dad, his eyes burning with nothing but pure hatred. "I said fuck you!" My dad smirks at Caleb. "You'd better watch your mouth Caleb. I don't want to have to punish Jace for your actions." Caleb's eyes widen, and he looks at me. "Don't touch him," he says menacingly.
      My dad stands up and turns his back on Caleb, walking towards me. I shrink back away from him. Adrenaline rushes through my veins, and my body finally finds the strength to move. I sit up on my elbows and crawl away from my dad. I turn and I'm about to stand up and flat out run, when I feel something tugging my hair. It slams me back onto the ground, and I cry out. "Stop," I yell. A weight settles itself onto my back and I cry out louder. My dad leans down, and I can feel his breath touching my ear as he whispers to me. "I kinda like that you can move again. It's always fun to see you put up a fight."
     I want to puke when a hand grabs my ass and squeezes tightly. I try to knock his body off of me, but he's too strong. I feel something near my entrance, and my body tenses as I wait for the inevitable pain. But it doesn't come. The weight from my back is lifted. I turn around and sit. Caleb stands behind my dad, who lays on the floor, unconscious. I guess Caleb kicked him or something, but I can't worry too much about it. He's down for now, and that's all that I care about. I quickly stand up and run behind Caleb. The knot holding his arms captive are tight, but eventually, I manage to free his arms. There are angry looking blue and purple marks on Caleb's wrists, making me wince. 
      Caleb ignores the obvious pain and  bends down, digging in dad's pockets. The only thing that he seems to find is a cell phone and a few keys. He flips it open and dials a few numbers, before putting the phone to his ear.
      "Yes my name is Caleb Roberts, and I need the police here immediately. Me and my little brother have been kidnapped." He is silent for a few second before yelling, "I don't know where I am, just trace the phone and hurry!" He hangs up and grabs my arms, dragging me away from my dad. He grabs his and my pants, and we quickly put them on. The razor shines on the ground, and I pick it up. We walk towards the door and Caleb turns the knob. When it doesn't budge, he takes out the keys. It takes a few tries to find the right one but when he does, the door flies open, and we run through it. Darkness surrounds us.
     Caleb takes my hand, and we blindly make our way through the dark cellar. I trip when I bump into a set of stairs, and I hold onto Caleb's hand even tighter. We make our way up the stairs until I can see a small crack of light. The cellar doors. I push on the doors, and they open. The smell of fresh air greets me, and I feel refreshed. Before I can soak in the feeling of tranquility, Caleb tugs my arm, telling me to move forward. The moon shines brightly as we make our way across the back yard. We're almost five feet from the house, when there is a loud yell from behind us.
      We turn around to see my dad. His nose is bleeding, and his eyes are wide and angry looking. We stand in silence for a few seconds, before I tug Caleb's arm and we run forward. I run faster than I ever thought I could to the house. I open the back door and let Caleb in, before slamming it shut on my dad. There's a loud bang, telling me that he ran into it. I smirk at how stupid he must feel and click the lock into place. The door slightly moves forward as my dad grunts. He's kicking it. Me and Caleb run past the dining room and into the living room. I can't hear the back door break as my dad kicks it open.
     As we run to the front door, I'm reminded of the last time we were kidnapped by my dad. This time though, the front door actually opens, and we run out to the front yard. For a second I think that it's over. That we're free. Suddenly, Caleb is tackled to the ground, my dad on top of him. He reaches in his back pocket and I hear a click. He holds the knife above Caleb's head, ready to bring it down onto him. Before he can though, I take the razor and slash it across his face.
     My dad cries out, falling off of Caleb. He clutches his faces for a few second, and when he brings his hands from his face, they're covered in blood. There is a large gash on his face that blood leaks out of at a speedy rate. I kick my dad's chest, and he gasps. I kick his face and he groans.
     As my dad lays there, I quickly grab the knife and raise it above his head. My dad looks up at me sadly. "You'd really do this? You'd kill your own father? The last parent that you have?"
    My grip on the knife falters as I look at him. Could I really do this? I know that my dad has hurt me, but I know that the same dad who loved me and protected me is still there. I know that deep in him, is the dad before mom died. I want to kill him. I want revenge for everything that he put me through. For everything that he put Caleb through. I want to kill him. But I can't. I'm not a killer. I'm nothing like him.
     My dad suddenly reaches up and takes the knife from my hand. He pushes me off of him and stands. I try to get off the ground, but before I can, I already see him as he brings the knife down towards me, and I close my eyes. This is it.
     I hear a soft gasp from above me and open my eyes. Caleb's back faces me as he faces my dad. He turns around, and I see the knife sticking out of his stomach. My heart stops and my blood runs cold. He takes the knife out of his stomach and drops it, staring at me. He falls to the ground, and I lose it. Without thinking, I grab the knife from the ground and plunge it into my dad's chest. He gasps and looks at me. I glare at him, only seeing red. He brings his hand up and strokes my face. "I love you," he says, before falling to the ground.
     I turn back around to Caleb and kneel on the grass. I gently pick up his head, setting it on my lap. Caleb stares up at me, and I take his in mine, holding it tightly. "Caleb," I say, my voice cracking. "Caleb, stay with me okay? Look at me. Keep squeezing my hand and don't let go."
    Caleb squeezes my hand tightly. "I'm so sorry Jace."
    "Sorry for what?" I can hear the sound of sirens in the distance, but I ignore it.
     "For not being there when you needed me. I'm so sorry that I abandoned you." Tears leak out of my eyes as I look at him. "You don't have to be sorry." He shakes his head, and his face goes paler by the second. "I'm sorry for leaving you like this."
      I start to sob, and I am barely even talk anymore. "Don't talk like that. You're gonna be okay." He grip falters but I hold onto it as tight as I can. "I'm so sorry Jace." His hand leaves mind and falls to the ground with a soft thump.
      I freeze. Caleb's eyes don't focus on mine anymore, and instead, stare up at the night sky. "Caleb," I say and shake him. "Caleb wake up." I shake him again but he doesn't respond. "Caleb please wake up!" I shake him even harder and tears run down my cheeks faster. Paramedics and police cars pull up in front of the house, but even now, I pay them no mind.
      I shake Caleb over and over, hoping for some kind of reaction, but I get none. "Caleb wake up! Come on!" I grab his face leaning my forehead onto his. His face goes cold and I sob loudly.
      "Caleb!"