Chapter 5

The feeling of arms around me make me wake up with a jump. The arms hold me tighter and I begin to panic. I squirm in the arms and begin to wriggle around. "Jace, it's me. Calm down." Caleb's voice is almost foreign to my ears and it takes a while for me to process that it's actually him.
     I look up to see Caleb's face looking at mine. My head is in his lap and his arms are around me, keeping me from falling. Once I register that I'm safe, I calm back down. "Where are we," I ask.
    "The interrogation room at the police station. They wanted to question you as soon as you woke up." I sit up and grab my head. It feels like someone's stomping on my brain. Caleb touches my head gently and I wince. "You have a small bump but it's nothing major." I nod as the door opens and a man and woman walk in.
     The sit across from me and Caleb at a table. "Hi Jace," the woman says. Her voice is smooth like honey and matches with her light brown hair, which is pulled up into a ponytail. "My name is Detective Robinson and this is Detective Johnson." She gestures to the man. His face is stern and he looks at me with no emotion. Detective Johnson looks at Caleb. "Is it alright if we talk to Jace alone?" Caleb looks at me and I nod nervously.
     Caleb sighs and stands up before leaving the room. When the door clicks, I begin to grow nervous. I know that I didn't do anything wrong but they both just seem so stern. Like they're ready to take me into custody at any minute. "Jace, you don't need to be nervous," Detective Robinson says calmly. "I know that you're still in shock over what happened. We just want to know what happened." Nervously, I begin to tell them what happened when I found Mrs.Conwell. Detective Johnson writes something down in a notepad as I speak and Detective Robinson listens to me intently.
     "Did Mrs.Conwell ever tell you about anyone who might've had a grudge against her? Anyone that she had bad blood with?" I shake my head. "She told me that she didn't want to talk about her personal life during work."
    The woman sighs and looks at me smiling. "Thank you for your words Jace. I'm very sorry for what you had to see." I nod at Detective Robinson. "Can I go home now?" She nods. "You can go. We'll call you in if we need you for anything else. We'll call your brother if we find out anything about Mrs.Conwell."
     I stand up and walk out of the interrogation room and see Caleb sitting in a chair. He notices me coming and stands up. "You okay?"
     "I just wanna go home," I reply. We walk out of the police station and make our way home. When we get home, I go straight inside. I'm about to go upstairs when I hear Caleb's voice call to me. "Jace wait." I turn around and look at him expectantly. My arms itch terribly right now and I just want to be alone right now.
     "Are you okay? I know what you saw was very..." he doesn't finish his sentence, and he doesn't need to. I already know what he's trying to say. "I'm fine," I say and continue my way upstairs. I close the door to my room, sinking onto the floor.
Tears leak out of my eyes and I pull my knees to my chest. My heart hurts as I stare at Harry. I want to hug him close to me but I can't seem to move anymore. I stay firmly glued to the ground as I mourn for Mrs.Conwell, tears streaming down my face.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

The winds blows, creating goosebumps on my skin. I called Ali earlier, but she didn't pick up. I wanted to tell her about Mrs.Conwell's death but I guess that I'll have to tell her later. I sit in the park, enjoying the feeling of peace.
I hear someone come up behind me and turn around to see Mike. He shows me his dopey grin before sitting down next to me. "You always look so sad. What's wrong?" I stare at my hands as I answer him. "A close friend of the family died yesterday." His face slumps and he frowns.
"I'm sorry to hear that. Are you okay?" I swear that question gets so annoying after a while. "I'm fine." I say it a bit more harsher than I meant to but Mike doesn't seem to mind. In fact, his smile grows wider and his dopey grin is back. "Why don't I take you out to eat. My treat."
I stare at him for a while before shaking my head. "I can't let you do that."
"Nonsense," he says. "Let me treat you. You deserve it. You work so hard, let me do something for you." He takes me hand and drags me away from the park.
"Where are we going," I ask. He turns around and grins at me. "You'll see."
A few moments later, we sit at a booth in Applebee's. Mike grins at me and I roll my eyes playfully. A waiter comes and takes our orders before leaving again. "So," Mike begins. "What do you like to do?" I look up at him and chuckle. "Really?"
He laughs. "It was the only question I could think of." I chuckle but answer his question. "I used to play the violin." He looks at me surprised and I'm waiting for him to make fun of me. "Really? That sounds cool."
I stare at him waiting to see if he's joking or not. He doesn't look like it though. I smile. "Yeah I really like it. What about you," I ask.
"I play basketball," he smirks. I roll my eyes at him. "I should've known," I say and he chuckles. Our waiter comes back and hands us out food. We spend the entire time talking about mostly boring stuff, but Mike is pretty interesting. He told me about how he only lives with his mom because his dad walked out on him when he was a kid. Mike didn't seem to think that I was weird or creepy in any way and actually made me laugh. He's funny and nice.
When we finished eating, I offered to pay the check, but he refused to let me. Eventually, we just split it half and half and Mike made me promise to let him pay next time we go for an outing. "And what makes you think that we're going out again," I ask. He blushes and scratches his head.
"W-well, you know. Since we had such a good time today, I thought that maybe you would like to hang out with me again." He blushes even harder and I laugh.
"I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I would like to go out with you again." He grins at me. "So its a date?" I chuckle and nod. "Yes Mike, it's a date."
Mike walks me to my bus stop and while we wait, he looks at me. "I had a lot of fun with you today Jace." I feel my cheeks heat up as I blush. "I did too. It was nice hanging out with you."
Slowly, Mike leans in until our noses are brushing. He leans in closer and presses his lips to mine. For a second, I think about pulling away. But I don't. Even if his kiss is rough and fast. I deserve a normal life, even if it's for a second and is nothing but a simple kiss. I deserve this. And slowly, I kiss him back.