Happiness - 07

Wonwoo sighed at the sight of himself in the mirror. It was hot as an oven outside right now and here he was, about to go out while dressed for winter. He looked ridiculous but it had to be done.

Grabbing his keys and bidding Bohyuk goodbye, the raven haired boy headed to the coffee shop where the two boys planned to meet up at. Wonwoo shouldn't have been as excited as he was when Mingyu called to see him. Surely it was just a friendly hangout and nothing more.

Mingyu wasn't late this time, thank heavens. He actually arrived to the venue earlier than Wonwoo did. What's gotten into him?

"Hey. You're early. What's up?" Wonwoo slid into the chair across Mingyu on the table. The younger boy simply smiled at him and handed him his caramel frappuccino.

Sensing the obvious tension, Wonwoo said nothing else and just sipped his drink while playing with the hem of his sweater.

"The weather is great today." Mingyu spoke up and stared outside, catching Wonwoo's attention. The older smiled. Sunny days has always been Mingyu's favorite, for he liked taking photos with "lit-ass" lighting, as he called it.

"For you, yeah." Wonwoo answered as he looked at the tan boy before him, almost sure his eyes turned into hearts as he did.

A moment later he found himself spacing out again, his mind wandering to places far from reality. It seemed like being with Mingyu doesn't affect him anymore, doesn't make his heart flutter like it used to.

It's a good thing, right?

Wonwoo's gaze lands on his sleeve-covered wrists.

But then again, he's hurting himself because of the boy, so that's absolutely not a good thing.

"I actually called you here to discuss something."

That sentence rocked Wonwoo's world, sparking something inside his veins that made him nervous enough to shake. "Okay, go on."

Did he find out about Wonwoo's hidden attraction? How? Is he disgusted?

"You know classes are gonna start again soon, right?" Mingyu started. "And we're in college this year." Wonwoo nodded in acknowledgement, trying to piece together how this might be related to Mingyu finding out about his feelings.

"Mom made me try out for a medical university and," Mingyu stopped for a moment of suspense, making Wonwoo's heartbeat halt as well.

"I got in." Mingyu wasn't smiling. Why wasn't Mingyu smiling?

It confused Wonwoo as to why the younger boy was saddened by the news. He knew Mingyu had always dreamt of being a famous doctor.

"But the university is in Seoul so I have to move away."

Oh.

"Congratulations." Wonwoo answered, his eyes focused on the table for he was sure he'd cry as soon as he looks Mingyu in the eyes. "I'm sure you'll do great."

"Yeah."

Another beat of silence came over the two boys.

Not only did Wonwoo lose his best friend's heart to a girl. He's also gonna lose him physically because of a goddamn school.

"Sorry I didn't tell you earlier that I tried out. I really did my best not to pass the exam because I'd rather study law with you than chase my dream as a doctor miles away from my best friend."

Wonwoo was on the verge of crying.

"Don't say that. We can still keep in touch despite the distance. The internet exists for a reason." This made Mingyu smile, causing Wonwoo's heart do a somersault.

"Let's not drift apart, okay?" Mingyu offered a handshake, as if asking for the promise to be sealed. Wonwoo took the waiting hand and held it firmly.