Happiness - 08

Mingyu promised him that they'd spend the rest of summer vacation together, and Wonwoo looked forward to it. But at the same time he didn't.

Another hangout meant another day ended. Wonwoo's anxiety wouldn't let him breathe, reminding him of the ticking clock, of the days passing by quicker than lightning.

They were running out of time.

If he had to be honest, Wonwoo would admit that he feared nothing more than change. He feared waking up one day to find everything and everyone all grown up and different. Just thinking of Mingyu coming home from university with a different hairstyle makes Wonwoo anxious.

He hates it, he hates it.

Bohyuk advised him to not think too much of it and just seize the days. So Wonwoo did just that and walked side by side with Mingyu at the beach, wearing yet another hoodie long enough to cover his fingertips. This time it was called for, the weather was quite windy and it was excuse enough to wear long sleeves.

"I wish I could freeze time right now so I can live in this moment forever." Mingyu said out of nowhere, a sad smile on his face.

"That's ridiculous." Wonwoo secretly wished for the same thing.

"I know. But I still want it."

Wonwoo knows how it feels to want something you can never achieve, so he dug inside his bag and brought out an instax. Mingyu laughed, calling him amazing for bringing a camera everywhere he goes.

They took silly pictures of each other playing in the sand and jumping on the waves, laughing at how stupid they looked in each frame.

Wonwoo's favorite was the one where their cheeks were squeezed together, in a desperate attempt to fit both of their faces inside the frame. Happiness was clear and evident in their eyes.

He hands the photo to Mingyu after taking a picture of it with his phone to have his own copy. Wonwoo's heart ached at the sight of his best friend staring at the object with sadness.

The taller boy was now facing Wonwoo, staring at his face as if he was searching for something. "Have I ever mentioned to you that you have really pretty freckles?"

Wonwoo felt the tips of his ears burn in embarrassment.

"All you've ever told me was how ugly I am." Wonwoo answered, half-joking.

But Mingyu was still serious. "You should stop concealing them everytime you go out." He lifted his hand to Wonwoo's face to wipe off the makeup on his cheekbones.

The intimacy was too much for Wonwoo to handle. Mingyu had always been a touchy kid, but this time it was different. His every touch was laced with love and care, as if he loved Wonwoo backㅡeither that or Wonwoo was just imagining things.

Their day went on as usual, being childish and embarrassing themselves in front of other people. But it was okay because they were being embarrassing together with their hands intertwined. And that was all that mattered.