Happiness - Epilogue

Wonwoo wished he can say he has moved on from Mingyu. But that was just plain impossible specially when Wonwoo's too far gone that he can't even see straight whenever the boy's around.

Bohyuk shouldn't have been surprised when he saw his older brother sitting lifelessly infront of the fireplace, mumbling nonsense as he stared at what once was a vase of fresh white roses.

"Have you ever been in love, Bohyuk?" Wonwoo suddenly asked, startling his little brother. "I have, and it hurts like fuck."

His phone rang somewhere beside him even before his brother could respond, and he answered the call without checking the caller ID. He barely cared at this point.

Wonwoo sniffled out a barely audible "hello".

"Is this Jeon Wonwoo?" The voice was feminine, and oddly familiar to Wonwoo.

"Yeah. Who is this?"

"It's Younghee." Wonwoo felt his heart stop. Why would she have possibly called him? "Sorry for suddenly calling so early but...I heard about what happened between you and Mingyu."

It's like Wonwoo's whole world just crumbled down on him, leaving him paralysed and unable to breathe. His secret was out. And he was embarrassed that Mingyu's crush out of all people knew about his sexuality.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean toㅡ"

"No, it's okay. I don't mind."

What?

Wonwoo transferred the phone from his right ear to the left one, using his free hand to help himself up.

"I actually called to apologize for....what Mingyu has done. He was rude, and what he did and said to you was unforgivable b-butㅡ"

The raven haired boy couldn't believe what he was hearing. Youngheeㅡthe girl who snatched the love of his life away from himㅡwas apologizing? To him? The boy who made a move on her almost boyfriend?

"I want you to know that you're valid, and that you're loved, despite your sexuality." Wonwoo noticed the change in her voice, as if she actually knew how Wonwoo felt, and it made him tear up. "Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

"Thank you. That just about warms my heart."

There was silence, and Bohyuk just stared at his older brother in confusion as he paced back and forth infront of the fireplace. "Who are you talking to?" He seemed to ask.

"I also called to tell you that....Mingyu will be leaving for university tomorrow morning. He just finished packing up and he's going to move in to his new dorm. I just thought you needed to know."

And that was all it took for Wonwoo to hang up and dash to his room, Bohyuk following behind him with worry.

"Hyung, I did not save you from death just so you could kill yourself again." Bohyuk exclaimed from the doorway as he watched Wonwoo dig his closet.

"I'm not going to kill myself, Bohyuk. Chill out." Wonwoo retorted, finally pulling out the white flowy dress he bought on the day Mingyu ditched him for his date. He carelessly stuffed it inside a shopping bag and slipped in a small note of gratitude and apologyㅡjust to let Younghee know the dress is all hers nowㅡbefore rushing back down.

"Hey! Where are you going?" His younger brother asked, panicking. Wonwoo didn't respond, silently taking the wilted roses from its vase and running out in a hurry.

"Lock the doors, and don't wait for me. I'm going to Mingyu's. Goodnight."

"Oh hell no. Come back here! Hyung! Stop hurting yourself!"

The run to Mingyu's house was fairly short, maybe because he spent most of the trip crying his heart out as he regretted every decision he ever made. The roses in his fists didn't help either. Despite its wilted state, its thorns were still intact, digging deep into his skin as he held it like it was his lifeline.

His bangs have gotten sweaty and started sticking to his forehead, and one of his shoes ripped open in the middle of his run to his ex-best friend's house. But he was here. He was finally here, four in the morning, the sky still dark, the cold chill of the wind sinking into his bones.

He made it.

The moving boxes placed outside on the porch made his heart sink. It was only a couple of hours before Mingyu would be leaving forever to start a new life, a fresh start without Wonwoo by his side. And it pained the older boy to think of living a single day without the cheerful Mingyu to lift his spirits up.

One knock, then another.

Wonwoo didn't dare to wait until the door was opened, simply leaving the shopping bag and roses on the doorstep before walking away sadly. He didn't have the courage to face Mingyu after everything that happened. Not yet. Maybe someday, but not now. All he could do for now was bid him goodbye. He'll get his closure sooner or later, but now he needed some space. They needed some space.

Wonwoo has made tons of shitty decisions in his lifetime. He regrets most of them, but there's one thing he could never say he regrets.

And that's falling in love with his best friend.