13: Days Gone

Abrielle remembered her childhood and how her parents were during those days. She was an only child and the ones who shaped those good memories were her friends before she and her parents were forever taken into the darkness-figuratively and literal.

Whenever they had a conflict, they wouldn't talk for a few hours before finally resolving it on the same day. It was child's play, but that was why she cherished those days that were now gone. Once, she was the subject of a small quarrel. They blamed her for stealing a cookie from their picnic basket for lunch.

She had no idea what was going on with them, why they ignored her during that time. They pointed out that one of the boys did it just to tease her and they just laughed it out as an end result. Nothing bad really happened.

It was only when they were gone that she found out the boy who blamed her secretly had a crush on her and never had the chance to confess. A mere cookie was a way for her to notice him. Simple, but it worked. Those were the innocent days before they moved out of the neighborhood. The days stolen that can no longer be returned to her. She wondered how they were doing now. Were they doing well in life? She missed them dearly.

In the present, she trailed behind one such difficult guy to deal with. She followed him to the classroom. None of them had said anything until they finally found their seats beside each other. Castellone leaned back in his chair comfortably and folded his arms over his chest while they waited for the professor.

Being early made it awkward. But that was on the part of Abrielle. She noticed Castellone didn't really mind the air around them or the eyes that stole glances at them. It was difficult enough for her to show her face but that didn't really matter for now.

While none of them spoke and the other students sneered at them, she couldn't help but wonder about one thing. Clearly he wasn't right in the head when he gave her that. "Was that yours?"

"Was what mine?"

"The notebook."

Castellone tilted his head to the side and looked straight. His gaze was mainly focused on the board. "Maybe."

"Answer it, freak." Abrielle accentuated her words.

Castellone groaned subtly before sitting upright. "Yeah, it was, it's not anymore."

"You don't want it back?"

"I don't need it. I figured some runt would want it more than I do."

"But what if you need it for e-"

"Look, if you don't want it you can just throw it away. It's that simple." Castellone interrupted, this time he decided to look at her with a frown.

Abrielle zipped her lips and curved it downward, almost like a pout. Then she broke out of Castellone's gaze. Fine, if he wanted it that way, so be it. The stupid notebook belonged to her now. It turned out that was one less thing he had to think about anyway. No use in making a big deal out of something so simple. But why would he even do it in the first place? She can only ever guess why.

She watched a flock of birds fly by from the window. They were an indication of a good weather up ahead, but not a good day for her. It was probably going to be long for her, maybe even longer for some people.

"Thanks anyway." She said softly. Not that she was expecting a reply, and she really didn't hear him say anything after that. She didn't bother to look at whatever reaction he had either. She knew it would probably be the same.

When classes have begun, the professor bored almost everyone to the point where some decided to play their phones under the table just to stay awake. He created a typical classroom atmosphere and the students struggled to keep awake. They've jotted down important key points in the lecture, but unexpectedly, Abrielle had glanced at Castellone's notes.