16: Creeping Beast

"So, are you going?"

It was the question Siniyah asked after reading the wedding invitation that was given to Abrielle. There was the image of two rings with flowers scattered beneath it. It was laid out elegantly and there was the text that told her she was invited to attend the wedding of Kerxis Signo and Flarion Ilinah.

Abrielle wasn't sure why she was invited when the only people she knew were the freak and Miss Ilinah. She didn't even know Castellone had an older brother.

She's read the letter twice and inspected it thoroughly just to make sure it was real. She didn't really appreciate pranks like some sudden invites, but who was she kidding? She knew Castellone wasn't into that kind of activity. Except a deadlier one.

She shook her head. "I don't know yet, and I don't have anything to wear either." Not like she's ever been to any fancy event anyway.

She didn't know what it was like to be amongst a crowd with a dress code or what they actually do in such formalities. She didn't like to really admit that she's never been to any gatherings like those before. It scared her on what could happen if she misbehaved somehow.

Would it matter if she didn't appear? Would she be a burden if she did appear? Would people even care if she showed herself?

Feeling unsure, she took the letter from the only friend she had. She planned to just stash it away, not wanting to throw it because of something she considered as 'beautiful' inscribed on the papers. But it would seem that her friend was insistent.

Siniyah took the letter and fanned it on her face before she could even keep it. "You should go, and we can worry about your dress later after class. Besides, it's one week before the wedding anyway."

"Why do you think he gave me this? We're not even close and I've only met Miss Ilinah once."

Siniyah eyed her teasingly and folded her hands over her chest. "You don't want me to answer that, Abrielle. You ever wonder why he often gets here? It's because of you."

Abrielle knew that. Literally. He had his own errands to run where she was involved sometimes. And that was that. She shrugged at Siniyah's comment, not really understanding what she meant.

When Abrielle didn't say anything, Siniyah rolled her eyes before throwing the letter on her friend's bed. "Oh my god, you're quite dense!"

Later that morning, when they made their way to their classes, the school paper was being distributed. It had a harrowing headline of five medical students who died in the local theater. A black and white image that reflected the massacre was beside the bold texts that showed the whole campus what had happened.

Abrielle took a copy right after switching classrooms. Her eyes scanned the contents and saw the list of names that were mentioned in the headline. She didn't know who those students were, but the editorial decided to put their pictures beside the names. Her eyes grew wide in surprise to see five of the students who became the reason why she often couldn't make it to class.

Now that she thought about it, she hadn't seen Castellone the whole morning that day and missed passing the requirements. Maybe something went up and he didn't feel like attending? Or maybe he was down with a sickness while listening to a famous metal band.

"He's done it again." She whispered and placed the paper in her bag before going to their next class. It was odd not having those people beat her up and it felt like forever since she was able to attend classes normally again.

Unfortunately, what she thought could be a constant attendance for the morning sessions fell into the same state when someone had bumped into her furiously. It made her stumble back and met the floor.