38: Fickle Beings

On unadorned days where time never seemed to skip every heartbeat and the problems that life throws at people, simple waves of affection are what often drove the negativity away from a troubled mind. But despite the grievances and the burden of wanting to forget, Abrielle couldn't seem to find the right solution to what she really had to do in unavoidable circumstances.

A few weeks after that dinner, she was finally able to gather up the courage to face society. The people, especially the ones who 'bad mouthed' and 'bullied' her, appeared seemingly surprised by her sudden reappearance. Her condition was more stable now that her wounds have healed.

She didn't dare meet anyone in the eye, only those who didn't really know or mind her, like she was never even there in the first place. A total outcast. She didn't mind though. If in their eyes she was weird, they didn't really have the right to judge her, let alone, hurt her.

Often times after classes, their bond was steady but it was growing deeper. Abrielle never thought of Castellone to have hands dipped in glue, his actions were done in a mild way. It made her wonder if he was like that to most of the things he really cared about.

Seeing as to how they were settled beside each other for most of their lectures, Castellone held her hand under the table. That gesture would remain so until they've heard the bells ring. He made her stop from chasing the next class, he settled there calmly as all others went ahead, making sure it was just the two of them left.

And when the silence dawned, he looked at her earnestly. Now that they were together, and this was one thing he's been thinking about, would kissing her mean more than the recent encounters? Would she feel the same thing he would if he did so? Or perhaps it would just be the same like it was before? Without those conditions, he just did. He planted a fruit ripe enough for her to take, hoping she wouldn't spit it out.

That kiss wasn't an obligatory one. It was meant with affection. She knew the difference now. He was opening more doors for her to explore. There was so much more that he would like for her to see. He drew back gently, meeting her in the eyes as she slowly opened them. There was nothing to say. Between the right and wrong, nothing mattered for when hearts beat solemnly. He took her to the next class. He would go out of his way just to send her there safely.

But, it seemed all confidentiality of their relationship would slip through some boggling minds. Most of Castellone's admirers were appalled by witnessing them being together most of the time. They appeared closer now than it was before. Like the apathetic character he was, he didn't care but he also blamed himself for not hiding it strong enough. What else could he do? His head was filled with nothing but her. On the other hand, Abrielle kept her gaze on the ground between them whenever she trailed behind him just to avoid their disgusted and jealous gazes.

"Don't mind them." Castellone said in aggravation, glaring at the people who were giving her the eye.

Abrielle heed his words. The people around shouldn't dictate what fate had set for them. If it was written, then let it happen. It was as simple as that, as long as they weren't bothered by the others. Unfortunately, something else brought a bigger problem for her.

The longer she was with him, the shorter the time they actually had together. Sievetech was running out of patience. But whatever little time she had left, if she was going to die in the end anyway, then she wanted to spend every second of it with him. Unconditionally.

Abrielle found herself at the library after deciding that it was best if she didn't have any distractions. She was trying to catch up to her lectures, appalled by the researches that piled up. She knew there was no need to do the work knowing how the education would just place her somewhere else, somewhere unaccounted by society.