34: Absence of Reason

Nothing could hurt more than witnessing a dear beloved devoured in the hands of an unforeseen assault. While word of it spread through the entire neighborhood of Old Maletique, certain people were mourning for the loss that will never be given the right evidences as to how it really happened.

Castellone watched as the coffin of his sister-in-law was slowly lowered. Kerxis was right beside him who hadn't talked for the whole procession and burial rites. His brother's gaze was fixed on the box that contained his now departed wife. He kept his vision limited to it for as long as he could remember. He wanted to say something, but he felt like telling the truth won't sink in Kerxis's mind right now. The only thing his brother could see was Flarion's final destination.

When everyone else left after paying their respects, Castellone watched his brother together with his friends by one of the sheds within the cemetery. They had no idea how long Kerxis stood there as the sun was already about to set that late afternoon. For a day of mourning, it was warm. A warmth as if there was the remnants of a short-lived affection searching for its beloved.

Castellone looked in the distance. He instantly regretted doing so. By a tree, swaying close to Flarion's stone, a shadow was casted upon it. He didn't have to guess who it was. He knew exactly what it was doing there. It was there to mock him. It was there to remind him how he was a failure as to not being able to save his family.

Specter pointed at Kerxis. With a smile filled with purpose.

Castellone clenched his fists, almost digging into his flesh when he did. No way in all of hell will he let the entity touch his brother, or even his friends. Not anyone. He pledged to whatever good was left that walked with him that he would definitely protect them this time. Even if it meant the one thing he always wanted. He arrived too late the day Flarion was murdered, but he wanted to make sure he won't be late for the others this time.

He saw Specter laughing upon his reaction. The entity was enjoying this. Yeah, laugh all you want, I'll get back at you soon. He was determined to stop him, no matter what it took. He can't allow this monster to ruin everyone he ever cared about. He can't allow Specter to ruin his life, or worst, to control it and wreak unimaginable havoc. He didn't want to live just so another entity could take hold of his vessel.

"Maybe you should go to him." Genon said as he, together with Blaze and Sirius, decided to leave the brothers alone. The suggestion had interrupted Castellone from thinking of revenge.

Castellone wanted to, but there was one thing that prevented him. How could he face his brother when he knew he was the main, the physical evidence, the one reason for Flarion's murder? And everyone else who recently died within the vicinity? Even their supposed baby was no exception. It was all because he couldn't stifle his temper like a dreaded being unseen in the society. It was Specter. He was Specter.

The murderer. The coward who could never face judgement.

He knew Kerxis was willing to devote the rest of his life to the one woman he truly adored better than their own mother. As circumstances unfold, it was short-lived and that was how life simply fucked up with someone way crueler than love can pierce a heart. Deciding to face him, he approached Kerxis and stood beside him as they gazed upon the tombstone. Like the stone alone was a grave omen screaming at his face. He feared to see another one right beside it. He will prevent it.

There was nothing else to say until the night finally crept in and Castellone tugged his brother so they could retire back home. As much as Kerxis didn't want to leave, he took one last glance at Flarion's grave. He allowed his younger brother to drive them all the way back to an empty home where her laughter no longer sang in the halls.