Chapter 26

3/29/2022 9:00 AM

Ring! Ring! Ring!

I take my cell phone out of the holder on my hip, slide the slider to the right, and put my phone to my ear.

"Rollins-Benson."

"Rollins-Benson...this is Emily Luck...I'm a doctor at Queens General Hospital..." Before Emily can finish her sentence, I interrupt her.

"How can I help you ma'am?"

"Your son James was brought in a few minutes ago. He presented with severe anal taring and abdominal pain. I ran some..." Before Emily can finish her sentence, I interrupt her.

"Anal taring? What are you talking about?" I angrily ask Emily.

"I'm sorry ma'am. I thought you knew. Your son was raped by a fifth grader."

"No, no, no, no, no...you're kidding right? This can't be happening. My son was not raped."

"I'm sorry ma'am. Your son was raped, and I need your permission to perform surgery on his torn colon."

"Oh god...please no. No, no, no, no, no. God no. Liv!" I yell as loud as I can.

"Liv!" I yell again. Liv walks out of her office and over to me.

"What's going on baby? Why are you crying?"

"Our...our son was raped..."

"What?"

"Our son was raped, and Dr. Luck needs our permission to perform surgery on his torn colon."

"Our...our son was raped?"

"Yes." I mumble.

"Oh god no. No, no, no, no, no. This can't be happening to us. Um...ok...I'm going to stay strong. I can do this. Let's go pick up John and Olivia from school." Liv says.

"O...ok. You can perform the surgery. We'll be there in a few minutes, ok?"

"Ok. See you soon." Click! I hang up my phone and put it into the holder on my hip.

"Go...be with your son. I'll hold down the fort." Fin says to Liv and I.

"Thanks Fin." Liv mumbles. Liv helps me to my feet, and after the two of us grab our jackets, we exit the precinct and make our way to the elevator.

A Few Minutes Later...9:35 AM

Liv and I get out of the car and make our way into the school. We barge into the office and make our way to the principals office. I open the door and Liv and I step into his office and make our way over to his desk.

"Hang up the phone." I say angrily.

"Yes ma'am." He says as he hangs up the phone.

"Our son was raped and you don't have the decency to call us?" Liv asks him.

"I'm sorry ma'am. I'm sorry I didn't call you. Please don't hurt me." He mumbles. Liv and I growl at him.

"Can you please go get Olivia and John out of class?" I ask Principal Orton.

"Yes...yes ma'am." Principal Orton stands up and makes his way out of his office. A few minutes later...he returns with Olivia and John.

"Thanks...come on baby-boy and baby-girl. We're getting out of here." I say as I pick up Olivia. Liv picks up John and the four of us make our way out of the principals office. We exit the main office and make our way out of the school.

A Few Minutes Later...9:55 AM

"You must be here for James Benson-Rollins." A nurse dressed in purple scrubs says to Liv and I.

"Yes...is he ok?" I ask the nurse.

"He's still in surgery."

"Ok, thanks." Liv says.