Chapter Six

Abby sat in her car facing Humphy's Great Alaskan Alehouse. Abby did not like beer. Beer, coffee...what did she like besides orange juice? Abby had come in a few times for breakfast, chowing on omelets, her favorite breakfast dish. When she came for dinner or lunch, she would order something from the soup & salad or health nut section of the menu.

Her stomach growled and she grabbed it. "Shush, tummy." She muttered. She zipped her keys into her purse and stepped out of her car onto the wet pavement, her boots crunching the rubble. Abby made my way through the door and was greeted my hands waving from the bar. She flashed a smile and walked up to Mindy, Sergio, Dave, Daniel, and a few others she was not familiar with.

"Abby," Sergio grinned, "You came."

Mindy turned her attention to Abby and looked over her clothes. "Nice sweater." She said it with meaning. Her dark brown sweater clung to her skin softly. It itched her arms sometimes and irritated her neck, but it was warm and all that she felt wearing. It had a few small buttons that were there just for show. It stretched down past her belt and stuck to her light blue jeans. Her brown hair was now straightened.

"Thanks." Abby said.

Sergio said, "Would you like a drink?"

"No, thanks."

"Oh, come on."

"You know I don't drink."

Daniel said, "Maybe it would help you feel better."

They shared a laugh and Abby said, "No, really. How about some food? I'm starving."

"Yeah," Dave said, "So am I. We have a table waiting."

The group slid off of their bar stools and over to a corner booth table with a stained glass window with droplets of rain attached. There were black iron bars in front of the window. Daniel and Mindy slid in with Abby, who took the window seat. Dave, Sergio, and the other two squeezed in the other booth.

An Alaskan man came up to their table with a huge grin. "Hello, my name is Cesar. I will be your waiter for tonight. Here are your menus. Can I start you off with drinks?"

"Yeah," Dave said, "Four beers."

"I'll have a light beer." Mindy said.

"Beer." Daniel said.

"I'll have an orange juice." Abby spoke.

Everyone starred at her like she was an outsider. She hated beer. She couldn't do anything about it.

"Alright, I'll be back." Cesar said after scribbling their orders down on his notepad.

"Abby, come on." Dave said.

"You're encouraging your employee to drink?" Abby asked.

"Hey, after eight, you are not my employees."

"Got you on that one." One of the other guys said with a red shirt on.

Abby slightly smiled. "Hey, I hate beer."

"And coffee." Daniel reminded her.

"Mhm." Abby nodded.

Mindy looked through the menu. "This looks good-Horseradish Crusted Halibut." She said.

"Ugh," Sergio groaned, "I hate halibut."

"Why? It's so good."

"No, it's not. It's gross."

"I suppose you're a vegetarian then, Sergio?"

Sergio shook his head. "I'm a man, not an anorexic, carrot eating woman."