Chapter Thirteen

Abby sat in the lobby of the art dorm scribbling down notes out of her History of Art and Science book. She had a big test Monday and needed to study as much as she could. She glanced at her watch.

"Shoot." She muttered.

Home Depot was calling her name. How was she ever going to get through studying if she had to go to work?

"Hey! Yo! Wow!" Marty called after her as she rushed outside.

"Sorry. I got to go to work. I'll see you in class Monday!"

"Uh, alright..." Marty said and chuckled to himself as he bit into a Snickers bar.

Abby threw her book bag in the passenger seat of the car and pulled out of her student parking spot. She drove down to Home Depot and rushed through the doors along with her book bag. Maybe she could sneak in some study time while she was there. Reaching the locker room, she stuffed her bag into the locker and threw over her Home Depot apron and name tag.

"Hey, kiddo. Ready for another day of work?" Dave asked as he passed her.

"Yeah."

"How's the college life?"

"It's going fine. Hey, I have a question. Do you think that I could stay after work for a while and study for a test?"

"Yeah. You can use my office." Dave suggested.

"Thanks so much!" Abby said with a goofy smile.

"What test is it?" He curiously asked.

"History of Art and Science."

"Ah. Well, good luck, Abby."

"Thanks."

"Oh, new shipment of plant seeds in the back."

"Okay." Abby said and made her way to the back storage room. She went to her garden section and searched the boxes for the plant seeds. She found a box of garden shovels and stacked the two boxes on top of each other. She carried them out to the garden section and set them up. Rain was beginning to drizzle in and she tried her best to dodge it underneath the canopy where the garden chairs sat. The day was going by more slowly than usual. The highlight of the afternoon was when Abby helped an elderly lady choose between violets or chrysanthemums.

When it was finally nine and the store was at it's closing peek, Abby hung her apron in her locker and took out her book bag. She made her way to Dave's office where he welcomed her to it. She plopped in a chair by the door and busily read of chapters one and two of her History of Art and Science book.

Dave's phone rang.

"Yeah?" He answered it. He smiled and said, "Hey, honey. Yeah, I'm just closing up for the night. I'll be home soon."

He hung up the phone and said, "The misses and I have plans to go see some show tonight. I'll see you Monday, kiddo."

"Bye, Dave. Have fun!" Abby called as he left the office.

The office wasn't really that big. It was a small, enclosed room. There was a door that led to the side of the building where the dumpsters were. The main door was wooden with a rectangular glass window. There was another window beside the door with blinds covering it up. The walls were a dark gray color with framed work of Dave's high school diploma and business degree from some college he went to. There was a poster of his favorite movie-Mrs. Doubtfire. Dave was a really big fan of Robin Williams and claimed he even met him once at a movie premier. Which movie it was was unclear. The office desk was on the right side of the room with the office chair tucked into it facing the main door. There was a small desk lamp on shining on scattered papers. A candy glass was half empty of M&Ms. Abby was very tempted to take a few. There was a small book case attached to the desk with a few books and a dictionary. Abby even spotted a Spanish-English dictionary even though Dave didn't speak one word of Spanish. Who spoke Spanish in Alaska anyways?