Chapter Seven

Abby and Mindy were up front now, listening to the band practicing on stage before they went on for real. As far as Abby could tell, the drummer had too much curly hair that draped over his face. The guitar player that spent time tuning his guitar was sweating from the bright lights.

In elementary school, Abby and her class had to do a spring musical for the school. They practiced in their music room for weeks and when rehearsal time came, they stood up on the bleachers of the gymnasium under these bright, hot lights. Abby stood there, her legs restless and her stomach churning. As the children began to sing, it came up.

Abby shuttered at the memory and turned her attention back to the band. Mindy was going on about how cute the bass guitarist was. He was cute. He wore a tea rose pink dress shirt and a pair of jeans. His black hair was shaggy over his forehead. His fingers were gently strumming the guitar.

The band members seemed to get themselves together and cleared their throats as they leaned into the microphones. The drummer twirled the sticks in his hands and situated his feet.

"I'm getting thirsty." Mindy suddenly said.

Abby got the hint and said, "Would you like me to go get you a drink, Mindy?"

"My beer's on the table still, please and thank you."

Abby laughed to herself and disappeared from the swarming people ready to hear the band play. She returned to the table with Dave was saying bye to the two guys who

tagged along, leaving her with her three friends.

"Look who's back." Sergio grinned.

"Her majesty is requesting her beer." Abby explained.

"Oh, her beer can wait. Sit down and talk with us."

Abby smiled and sat amongst her friends. She grabbed her drink and took a big gulp.

"I hate awkward silence." Daniel said.

Abby said, "Me too."

"Are you taking that photography class yet?" Daniel asked Abby.

"Not until I can get enough money to take the class."

"Why don't you ask Dave for a raise?"

Dave turned slightly, trying to ignore the suggestion.

Abby shook her head and said, "No, I couldn't do that."

"Well you have to do something, Abby. You really have a passion for this."

"I know I do."

Sergio mentioned, "I've never seen your photography."

Abby looked back at Mindy anxiously waiting for her beer and said, "I better get back to Mindy." She grabbed her beer and returned to Mindy's side as the band was playing their first song. "Here."

"It's about time." Mindy sighed and took a swig of her beer.

"You're welcome." Abby murmured.

Abby looked around, slightly bored. She wasn't really amused with anything. The music flowing through the air was alluring and Abby looked up into the beautiful russet eyes of the lead singer. A smile crossed over her lips and she swallowed hard looking up at the young boy that seemed to be her age. He had lightly tanned skin that was covered with a pair of jeans and a white collared dress shirt. A shark tooth necklace draped around his neck. His hair was short and black with a spiked style to it. His hands moved against his guitar with the red pick between his fingers.

Mindy," Abby said into her friend's ear, "What's the band's name?"

"North Sun!" Mindy shouted through the music.