Chapter Ten

The car ride was full of silence with Paul's hands gripping the steering wheel and Abby's face looking out the window full of question. I mean, how could she possibly process what happened? That's the thing. She couldn't.

Now the two sat in Abby's living room with a block of silence between them. Paul's fingers were tapping against his coffee cup and Abby just stared at him waiting for him to say the first word. Time was flying by and neither one of them said a word. Abby leaned back in her seat and stared up at the ceiling. Paul just sat there doing nothing.

"Say something." Paul demanded.

"What happened?" Was all Abby could say.

"I don't know."

"Are you seriously telling me you didn't see two wolf-looking creatures fight each other? All you saw was me running?"

Paul shook his head and answered, "Yes."

"You're that oblivious?"

"I told you what I saw. It was you running like a demon was chasing you."

"I was running from those things." Abby argued.

"Okay, I believe you."

"And where were you, Paul?" Abby asked demandingly.

"I was looking for someone," Paul replied, "You know that person that screamed. I thought someone was in danger."

"And you never found him or her?"

"No."

"Then we should contact the police."

"Abby, it was probably someone goofing around."

"Right, Paul." Abby shot, looking away from her brother.

"Are you accusing me of something, Abby?" Paul asked.

"Of course not."

"Then why are you giving me the third degree?"

"I'm sorry, okay? I was just worried when I couldn't find you. I'm just freaked out."

"I can understand that. Maybe you should get some sleep. We'll talk tomorrow?"

Abby nodded. "I'll call you after work."

"Sounds like a plan." Paul said with a forced smile. The two stood up and Abby hugged her brother tightly. "Good night."

Abby nodded and watched her brother leave, closing the door behind him. Without a moment of just standing there, Abby raced for the door and locked it behind her. She leaned against it and scratched her head.

"What the hell?" She said out loud. "Are you kidding me? No...no...no...ugh."

Abby stormed into her kitchen and opened the refrigerator roughly. She pulled out a can of coke and began chugging it. She marched to her room and set the coke on her desk and then plunged into her bed, clutching Mr. Alfred.

"Nothing makes sense anymore, Mr. Alfred. I have no idea what is going on these days."

Abby looked at her desk and saw the money Paul had given her.

The next morning Abby was in her car with the envelope of money. She was on her way to the bank to deposit the money when ahead in the morning fog she saw police lights. An ambulance was parked on the side of the road with the ER men rushing out with a stretcher. Abby decided to mind her own business but that quickly changed when she realized where she was it-the railroad depot. Abby nearly lost her breath and swerved into the depot's parking lot. She jumped out of her car and ran over to the police office.