Chapter Nine

It was Monday when Paul and Abby got to see each other again. Abby was working with a customer in Gardens, showing her the correct way to fertilize a plant. That's when a pair of hands covered her eyes.

"Guess who?"

Abby giggled and said, "I'm working with a customer."

Paul uncovered her eyes and said, "Well, hurry up. I thought we could go to the Anchorage Railroad Depot or maybe the zoo?"

Abby hurried up with the woman and Paul followed her like a puppy to the back where Abby took her things out of her locker. She hung up her Home Depot apron and closed it.

"Now let's see if Dave will let me have the afternoon off."

Abby and Paul knocked on Dave's office door where he beckoned them to come in. The two siblings stepped in with awkward smiles on their faces.

"Abby." Dave smiled and then raised an eyebrow to the stranger.

"Dave, this is Paul, my brother. I was hoping that maybe I could have the afternoon off. He's only visiting for a short time and wanted to take me out."

Dave sighed and said, "How long are you in town?"

"Just a few more days."

"Fine." Dave groaned.

"Thanks so much!" Abby exclaimed.

"Right..."

Abby and Paul ran out of the store and over to Paul's red convertible.

"Wow, nice car." Abby said as she ran her hand's over the car. She reached the door handle and pulled it open, climbing into the leather seat. "Nice."

Paul laughed at her and cranked the car where rock music poured from the speakers.

"So," Paul said, "Where shall we go?"

"Railroads are railroads, Paul."

"Zoo?"

"Yes."

"Aw, I wanted to see a train." Paul cried.

Abby laughed and shook her head. "I want to see some exotic animals and get a souvenir."

"Get a railroad nail."

"Paul."

"Fine." He pouted and pulled out of the parking lot onto the highway. He flipped through the railroad station finally finding a good metal song.

"Metal? Seriously?"

"Come on, Abby. This is Metallica."

Abby rolled her eyes. "If you say so."

"How was work?"

"Fine as usual. Although, I pricked my finger on that stupid cactus."

"I have something for you." Paul informed her.

Abby's eyes lit up. "Oh?"

"Yes." Paul reached into his jacket pocket and handed her an envelope. "Open it."

Abby's finger slipped the envelope open and she pulled out dollar bills. "Wow, Paul."

"It's in hundreds. Hopefully it's enough to get you through one semester."

"I can't thank you enough." Abby said with tears welling in her eyes.

"I got what I deserved," Paul said, "Know it's your turn."

"You're the best!" Abby said and threw her arms around her brother.

"Hey, hey, hey. I'm driving here."