Persuasive Powers

We finally made it to town and pulled into the police station. 

Alexandru walked me in and every face in the small station turned to us. 

"Count, how are you?" One of the officers asked him. Count took his hat off and nodded as a greeting. 

"I am well officer Marcel." He then gestured to me and said, "This is Maggy May." 

I nervously gave officer Marcel a smile. 

"Nice to meet you Miss May. What can I do for the two of you?" I looked at Alexandru, he slightly bowed his head and smiled. I looked back to officer Marcel and said, "Well, my parents and I were hiking yesterday late in the afternoon and well um the path broke below our feet and we tumbled down the cliffs." I told him why and where we were hiking and my parents' names. I told him of Alexandru taking me in as well. 

"Count, why didn't you tell us of this girl?" The Count froze for a moment then said, "I'm terribly sorry officer Marcel, it was very early in the morning when I found her. The hospital was two hours away. I didn't want the girl to have to move more than she had to. But I promise you that next time I will try to be a little more thoughtful." For a second I thought I saw a red glow come to the Count's eyes. But then I guessed that it was the light coming through the windows. 

Officer Marcel went on talking and agreeing with Alexandru. But I couldn't help but notice Alexandru step slightly away from the rays of the sun shining through a window of the station. 

" … We will try our best to find your parents, Miss May. Do you have any other family around?" 

"No,"

"Would you like me to arrange anything with the hotel in town?" 

"She will stay with me." Alexandru spoke up.

"I will?" I asked. Why would I want to stay with him? He has bad news drawn about his appearance. 

"OK." Said Officer Marcel. Wait what? Why is he allowing such a thing? I whipped my head to Alexandru and again I saw a slight red glow in his purple eyes. "We will inform you when news shows up." 

I wasn’t nearly as persuasive as Alexandru, even I found myself trusting his words. I nodded my head and walked out of the police station with the man in all black. The man who I was to stay with for a while. The man I knew nothing about.

"How about I take you shopping?" Alexandru offered, but I didn't climb into his dark car when he opened the door for me. 

"Why did you say that to officer Marcel? Why should I go with you?" I was a bit angry and I hoped Alexandru saw it on my face. I folded my arms but he leaned against the door of the car. 

"Because, I am your safest bet in this town."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Your parents are dead Maggy." I was taken back at his words. Especially the bluntness in them. I unfolded my arms. "You're lucky that I found you. No way are your parents still laying alive or walking around the forest. They would have found a town by now. The cops would have known who you were." 

I began to cry but tried to keep my voice steady. He was right. But I hated his words. "Then why is it safe for me to be with you?" I tried to wipe at my eyes but more salt water kept coming from them. The count pulled a silk handkerchief from his sleeve and gave it to me. I reluctantly took it and dabbed at my eyes. 

"This must be hard for you. I can relate. But I know that once you get back to the states with officer Marcel's help you will be put into foster care. You will have to live with other families for the next few years until the system kicks you out. You will then have nothing and no one to lean on. But, unless you have relatives, I will do everything in my power to make sure that you get to them." He made perfect points but I didn't have any relatives that I knew of. My parents were both single children in their families. They don't have any friends because of traveling so much. Staying with the Count was my best option. 

But he is so mysterious and creepy. He lives alone too … .

"I don't have anyone I can stay with. And you're right, three years living with other families doesn't sound so great. But how do I know I can trust you?" 

"Well, I saved your life, and I am willing to drive a stake through my heart for you." 

I don't know why he used that analogy, probably because that is the biggest thing a fictional vampire can promise someone. 

"How old are you?" He asked.

"Fifteen a month ago." If I go with him and live with him, I could still go on with my life. It's not like I'm leaving behind any friends in my hometown. 

"You can go to school here, finish up, then go to college. Go back to the states when you want." 

His offer was a good one. Life suddenly took everything from me and now it was giving me new opportunities. Maybe living here wouldn't be so bad.