Brothers in Arms

"So, how do you and Alexandru know each other?" I asked Octavian the next morning at breakfast.

Alexandru had shown Octavian a room with a coffin inside that he could stay in and I was able to actually get some sleep.

"We grew up together as kids. I was his right hand man in combat." Octavian answered while drinking some orange juice.

"Wait, you're just as old as Alexandru?" The bald vampire nodded his head.

"Both made deals with the devil on the same night." I gave a blank face to Octavian revealing that I had no clue what he meant by his claim.

"Hasn't the Count told you how he became a vampire?" I shook my head.

"How is it done?" I eagerly asked. Alexandru was not in the kitchen nook with us, I actually had no idea where he was. He made breakfast then just left, saying he'd be back. "No, tell me why the two of you made this choice!" I pressed. How do you even get an audience with the devil? Octavian exhaled a big amount of air.

"1474, Alex and I came back from fighting a battle with the Ottoman Empire. The young prince was wounded badly. Count Vlad, his father, was in a state of mourning. He couldn't think of his son being dead, so he asked for the royal sorcerer. The Count asked that flaming man, Satan, for his son to live. But the devil can only make a deal with the human who needs his cursed blessings. Till this day I don't know the reason why Alex allowed himself to become a vampire. But, that same fateful night I told myself that I would stand by his side the rest of his life." Octavian looked down. Obviously he hasn't been keeping that promise he made with himself. He looked back up at me and finished with, "Well, That's what happened. Signed a contract with blood, was put into agonizing pain for a few hours, and then, yeah, you know the gist." I didn't want to think about the "gist". In every vampire film or book I've read once the human becomes a vampire they feast on blood right away. I bet Alexandru and Octavian ate people that night.

"That was some good explaining my friend, were you trying to tell her the PG version?" I turned on my stool and found Alexandru making his way into the kitchen. But Octavian just kept on eating, acting like Alexandru wasn't anything knew.

"Once I heard you down the hall," he began, "I thought I wouldn't ruin your image in front of the young girl." Alexandru put an irritated look on his face at Octavian's words. What did the bald vampire mean by not ruining Alexandru's image?

"Did the two of you become the unstoppable team in battle?" I asked. Alexandru seemed perfectly fine at my question but Octavian looked like he had forgotten something that was impossible to forget. White smoke that looked like the same puffy stuff that had drawn me into the past yesterday, had done the same now.

When it cleared I found myself sitting on the same stool in the same part of the kitchen. But instead of two dark vampires standing in front of me, people who looked to be servants of the 15th century (1400s) bustled about me, acting as if I was invisible. I understand their avoidance, I'm guessing I'm in something like a past experience of Alexandru's again. But, he seemed fine when I asked the question. And Octavian had been nervous, maybe I was in something of his memory.

It was strange seeing the kitchen of the castle lively and lit-up. It looked like all the servants were preparing for a feast.

Two men then burst through the door laughing. It took me a moment to recognize them but then it hit me. Alexandru had curly hair and his companion Octavian had a dark bowl cut that made him look like a monk. He pulled it off terribly and I understand why he has shaved it all off.

The two were dressed in dark tunics and baggy trousers. They wore treaded boots with large swords hanging from their belts. Their ears were pointy and their fangs were evident to all in the kitchen. I felt happy for their return. Well, I don't exactly know their return from what but I just felt that way.