Sebastian's Blood

Octavian avoided me for the next two days. Once I came out of the trance, Alexandru acted like nothing had happened. But Octavian was at a loss of words.

Both vampires avoided the subject even until this day. But I wanted to talk to at least one of them about it. You don't just go and allow a random person to see into your past and not say anything about it! I am very confused!

"Alexandru," I began while reading with the Count. He and I began to read and study together in his library. It's fun. I will be reading one of his books and ask him questions, then he will answer and explain. Yesterday he helped me with my room. He wanted me to feel more at home so he moved more furniture into there and helped me decorate it with what I bought in town.

While doing all this I had a very hard time seeing the same guy kill and slaughter thousands. He was so much the complete opposite it felt impossible that someone could drastically change. But I guess if you are to live forever it's possible.

"What was it that I witnessed the other day?"

Alexandru put one of the books down that he was reading and looked at me.

"December 1475, Basarab Laiotă, my father's cousin, after being forced to leave Wallachia by my father, came back with Ottoman support. His soldiers murdered my father and my wife. Tavian was wounded badly. I didn't allow myself to mourn over the loss of my loved ones. Instead I brought my only friend back to life and finished the battle."

"What happened to your son, Sebastian?"

"He slept through all the ruckus. It was hard for him though once he realized that mama was never coming back."

"I'm sorry,"

"Thank you,"

"Was he a vampire?"

"No, born human, with a soul. But understand that only an original vampire can have children. A human turned into a vampire by another can not." I nodded my head understandingly.

"What was that that you did to Octavian?"

"Only an original vampire can drink the blood of a human or beast and heal them if they are wounded. It is a very strange concept."

"No, I felt it—coursing through me; the energy, it was incredible." Alexandru smiled.

"That is how you survived the fall from hiking."

"Wait, you healed me that way? But why don't I have marks from it?"

"A vampire's bite marks immediately go away after sucking blood from anything."

"Do you think Octavian doesn't like me?"

"Not one bit. He told me, right after you two had that moment, that he was glad that you had reminded him of his mistakes."

"What does that mean?"

"I couldn't tell ya." Alexandru shrugged his shoulders.

"So... where is he now?"

"Hunting, catching a late breakfast."

"I'm sorry, I guess I should probably get more into sleeping during the day like you guys."

"Oh please, Tavian and I are perfectly fine."

"What happened to your son? Did he marry? Is there like a long line of yours that still lives today and knows all about you?" Alexandru answered me with sternness in his voice, and sort of regret too.

"Basarab killed most of my servants. And many townspeople died too. So, I decided to erase all history of me and my existence. Including my wife's, Octavian's, and Sebastian's. I allowed the locals to call my father Vlad Tepes. Dracula. But the truth is, I'm the Impaler, I'm the one who tortured and murdered millions.

"After that battle Octavian left, and I gave Sebastian away. Watching over him was one of my priorities. I witnessed him marry and have kids, and his kids have kids and so forth. Until this day I still watch over her, Paula."

Paula, his great granddaughter, well, more greats.

"She is the last of my blood."

"No kids?"

"Well, not that I know of at least." I nodded my head but I was still astonished. This little old lady has no idea that she is related to the real Dracula. Too bad she never had any kids.

"It would be cool if you told her before she died." I suggested.

Alexandru shrugged his shoulders again. "Maybe,"

Over the course of a month Alexandru and I grew closer as friends and living companions. Mornings filled the castle with piano music and the library always had books opened up on its desks. The stoves and freezer were of use once more. The dining hall became a place to eat every time we had dinner together. Octavian would randomly show up and have a meal with us, maybe stay the night but leave without a notice.

Alexandru allowed me to drive to town if he was in the car. I also got onto the track of a vampire. Dinner became breakfast, lunch was twelve p.m. instead of twelve a.m., and breakfast was sundown instead of sunrise.

I had a chance to see Gabriel, the bookstore keeper, during the festival that the town had put on. I was able to get his number and explain that I was not going to go to school. I made sure to do all this with Alexandru and Octavian gone. Because when they are around Gabriel, the air becomes tense and I become incredibly uncomfortable.

But overall, I'd become used to living with the Count.