Interviewing a Demon

I woke up on the floor of my bedroom freezing. I must have fallen asleep here last night. I got up and walked over to my armoire. I climbed into some loose jeans rolling them up above my ankle making them look like baggy capris. I pulled over a loose white shirt then slipped into white converse. I was a bit hesitant to go outside in the hall—to face a monster I always thought wasn't real.

Courage grew within me and I opened the door. I peeked my head out into the sunlit hall and discovered no movement, not even a spider in the corner of a beam.

I began to walk very skeptical down the hall anticipating the Count to show up out of nowhere. But unfortunately as I made it to the kitchen I found him cooking. "Good morning," He said with a small smile turning to me then turning back to the stove.

"Morning ... " What do you say to a vampire? Wait a minute, I've been talking to him like he's been a normal person all along. Why change that now?

"Did you sleep well?" He asked.

Why is he acting so casual? I know he saw me in the window last night.

"No, I didn't." He stopped moving and just stood there, quiet. "I know your secret." I simply stated. "You're a—"

"Terrible cook!" He cut me off. Wait what?

"No, you're—" I tried again, but he cut me off with his silly guessing.

"Food is terrible. That's why you didn't want to eat either of the times I gave you food."

"You're a vampire." I was a little irritated knowing that this was not how I thought this moment was going to go.

"Duh," he said with an every-human-knows-that look.

"Duh? What do you mean 'duh'? You thought I knew!"

"You see, the thing about food is that it's very delicate. I always had servants growing up that I never exactly bothered to learn how to cook. And—" now I was cutting him off.

"Wait, you thought that I already knew?"

"I take it that you're not very bright."

"Hey! Mind you mister vampire but I am pretty smart!"

"I'm sure you are. Smart enough to stay with me and not run away once you found out." For the first time, I saw Alexandru smile. A devilish smile. His fangs in full view. I felt a rush of blood go to my head then everything went black.

I woke up realizing that I had fainted. I heard piano playing and saw grand chandeliers above me. I then recognized the walls and floor and knew that Alexandru had taken me to the ballroom.

I looked at Alexandru and watched him play a ballet with his eyes closed. He then opened them but did not look at me.

"Okay, ask away." He insisted. Does he mean to ask him all the fantasy questions about vampires? I bet any human from his past that has found out has been turned up just as I have: in shock.

"Okay, first question, are you allergic to the sun?"

The count kept playing the ivory as he answered. "Yes, but when I come in contact with any light from the sun I just start to burn really badly. If I stand in the sun for a long time then my body really will catch on fire and I will die."

"Question two, last night, were you all of those bats?"

"I have the ability to only fly in the sky in my human form for a very short amount of time. But yes, I am multiple bats, not just one."

"Can you only drink human blood?"

"I haven't drank human blood in over thirty years. I drink the blood of beasts, and occasionally, like last night, I eat human food to satisfy my hunger for taste."

"Can you run fast?"

"No, I can pause time. It's a strange concept really that many authors can't comprehend. You see, I am able to walk so fast that time just stops around me." I began to think of other questions you would ask a real live vampire. "Brian Stoker, he was such a creative man. I met with him once. Gave him the inspiration for his story. He tweaked a few facts but I didn't mind. Better off the human mind doesn't know what such a creature like I is capable of."

"Do you have mind control?"

"I do, I realized you noticed me yesterday using that ability on officer Marcel."

"Have you used it on me?" He stopped playing and finally looked at me.

"I would never dare use it on you. Your soul is too precious to be seen by the likes of me." His words were tender and trusting, yet confusing.

"How long have you been living?" He went back to playing and answered.

"1451 was the year I was born. June was the month. And 12th was the day." Wow.

"Are you allergic to garlic, and other spices, or salt?"

"No, I'm not."

"What about a stake through the heart?"

"Yes, that would surely work but the longer a vampire lives the more immune they become."

"The coffin ... is that yours?" He stopped playing again and looked at me with a questioning look.

"You went in my room?" Uh-oh.

"Uh, Yeah. I was just exploring and I walked down that one hallway you went down. And I ended up opening the last door and saw a coffin in the middle of the room ... sorry?"

"You didn't see anything else?"

"No," he nodded and just stared out the window.

"Alexandru, just one last question." He turned to me. "You're not thinking about killing me are you?" His eyes went wide and suddenly a white cloud covered my vision.