Gypsies with Guns

We got back to the castle within the same time it took us to get to the beach. Alexandru prepared some lunch (remember that my whole internal clock is screwed up after living here for a month). I went to my room and climbed into a pair of skinny jeans and a large sweatshirt. The dark no longer scared me and the shadows in the night I ignored. I already knew the castle interior by heart so much that I probably could close my eyes while walking about it. Usually, Alexandru has candles lit on the walls but I knew that he was busy.

I made it downstairs and into the kitchen and sat on a stool.

"Thank you for earlier, taking me to the beach that is,"

Alexandru smiled at me as he turned slightly from the stove. He turned back around and went on cooking. After a few minutes, he slipped an egg and two pieces of toast on my plate. I thanked him once more and picked the egg up and put it in between my two pieces of toast. I bit into it and enjoyed the extra pepper.

There was a loud knock at the door and Alexandru went to answer it. I stopped chewing in an attempt to try and listen.

"Count Dracul, we have what you have been asking for,"

The voice was melancholy and deep.

"Finally," Alexandru responded. "Bring it in." It was quiet for a minute until I heard heaving then a large boom. Whatever was being carried, it was now inside the castle. "I will take care of it, thank you. Please, come to my office and I shall pay you."

I slipped off of the stool I'd been sitting on. And tried to sneak up behind a wall and look out to the front entrance.

There were five men, all dark-haired and muscular looking. They wore baggy pants that they tucked into their boots. The white shirts they wore were baggy and looked as if they were pirates. But they were clean cut. They were all most likely middle eastern. I wonder ... . I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and knew that Alexandru had taken care of his employee.
"We shall see one another again, dear friend," the strange man said to Alexandru.

"Yes," with that the two men kissed each other on both cheeks. The crew left and Alexandru stooped down to look at the large crate that the men had brought in. "Maggy," I jumped at him saying my name. I slipped from my hiding spot and came closer.

"Alexandru, who were those men?" I asked.

"Gypsies."

"Gypsies? But I thought people like them didn't exist,"

"Well, they do," Alexandru grabbed the lid of the crate which was bolted down and lifted it. The bolts flung across the room and I was amazed at how he made it look so easy to lift.

"What did they bring you?" I crept up and looked inside the wooden box.

My heart skipped a beat.

Weapons. Swords, daggers, pistols, guns, bombs, and silver stakes.

Alexandru reached inside and grabbed a small cardboard box. He opened it and shook ammunition into his palm. Silver bullets.

"Why would you ask for this?" I didn't know what to think. I didn't have a problem with people having weapons, but I wondered what a vampire would want with anti-vampire weapons.

Alexandru grabbed one of the swords and unsheathed it. He stood and held the silver blade in his hand. Looking at him made me picture the him from six hundred years ago. The blade looked as if it could cut through anything.

"This is a Samurai sword. Made in Japan about three hundred years ago. Blessed by powerful witchcraft that repels vampires and turns them to dust instantly." Alexandru turned to me and said with a mischievous grin, "I have been struck with it seven times." He put the antique sword back in its sheath and put it back in the box.

"Alexandru, why would you want it after all these years? Why would you want any of this? You're a ... Vampire."

"Tavien. He has gotten himself in some trouble. I thought I'd help."

"What kind of trouble?"

"American Hunters. They've picked up his scent. He's been trying to wear them off but others are giving him away."

"Others?"

"Other vampires." I looked inside the box and grew pale.

"Are these meant for them?" I swallowed hard and disgust grew on my face.

"The less you know the better, Maggy." I looked at the Count and nodded. I looked inside the box once more before I grabbed a dagger and unsheathed it. It wasn't very fancy of a knife but the blade reflected the sun when I slanted it in certain directions. I glanced at the Count and began to wonder why the Samurai sword hadn't worked on him those seven times. Maybe it's the superior vampire race in him. Then I won't hurt him if I throw this dagger at him.

I did. And it didn't hurt him. In fact, he caught my throw. But he's so close to me!

Alexandru looked at the dagger and looked as though he was thinking. "I should probably teach you how to use this," Once again, the dreamy clouds came over me and took me once more into the Count's past.