A Lonely Man's Prayer

I sat on a stool while Alexandru wrapped a cloth around my hand. A band-aid would have done the trick but this old castle didn't have such a modern thing.

He gave a small smile once all the dried blood was wiped off with a wet cloth.

"I shall make you some dinner, yes?" He said. I gave a shy smile in reply remembering how he had gotten me a snack at a bakery in town and that was all I had eaten for today. I guess you would count the small coma I was in while he took care of me, too.

I watched as he opened a small cupboard that I had not seen at first, and grabbed ingredients that had labels on them in Romanian. So he must keep the food in there instead of in a large pantry. Huh, makes sense.

I watched him cook very elegantly and very fast. A clock in the room showed eight o'clock.

I didn't have anything on my mind that I could think of. I mean, my parents never left my thoughts but they felt like they were becoming distant memories in only just a day. Now I had something to think about. Will I forget what life was like back at home? Will my parents just become distant memories

Alexandru finished up and when he did he set a plate right in front of me. Then he put a plate down next to me and sat in the chair beside me. The thought of his grand dining room made me dream what it would be like if I were dressed in a grand silk gown and he dressed ... . Well, he always dresses nice. And we have dinner in front of the large fireplace.

I looked down at the strange food he had set in front of me. It looked like blown up tater-tots and orange juice around it. It didn't look very appealing, but the count looked like he couldn't get enough of it.

He caught me staring at his behavior and he immediately stopped and dabbed at his mouth with a napkin.

"My apologies, I haven't had real food in quite a while."

"What is it?" I said in a child-like manner. As if I was asked to eat my broccoli.

"Sarmale." He answered. "A Romanian specialty."

I stared back down at it and suddenly lost my appetite.

"Would you rather me cook hamburgers and pizza and spaghetti?" I gave him a petty smile. He returned it and it made me laugh. "Okay, from now on I'll try my best to cook your American food." He said American with his best American accent, which was pretty good. He walked back to his pantry and ended up giving me a sweet roll.

He led me to my room by candlelight. Strange how he hasn't gotten electricity in this castle yet.

I took a shower and prepared for bed in the bathroom that was connected to my room. He already had a night gown hanging on the door for me. It was a light green with intricate lacing around the neck and rims of it. It was a bit big but it was very comfortable.

I peeked out the hall to see if he was there so that I could say goodnight. But he was nowhere to be found.

I shrugged the idea away and instead knelt down at my bedside.
I cupped my hands together and began to pray the way my parents had always taught me.

My family never went to church from what I can remember. But my parents always read the Bible out loud to me and encouraged me that there was a God up in a place called Heaven and that he created the earth. I believed them and always thought that I could feel a warm comfort whenever reading the Bible or praying.

So, even if they are gone, I will pray and read for them, maybe even try to investigate in churches. I wonder if the count is religious or not.

"What are you doing?" I opened my eyes and turned my body. Alexandru was standing in the doorway with a quizzical look on his face.

"I am praying." I answered.

"Praying? You pray like that?"

"Why yes, how do you pray?"

He looked a bit taken back by my question. Shamefully he looked at his shoes. "I don't pray."

"Well, do you believe in a God above?"

"Why, of course. If the devil is such a thing, then definitely."

"Come here," I patted the floor next to me and gestured to the timid man to kneel next to me. Alexandru hesitated at first but gave in and knelt next to me. Even on his knees his torso towered over me. I silently smiled as I watched him cup his hands together trying to copy me. "Now what?" He asked. He sounded like a little kid who was trying their best to learn how to pray!

"Just ... ask God for whatever you think you need to be successful. Tell him thank you for the many blessings you received today. Let him know you love him for the plan he has given your life." Alexandru looked at me like I had just come back from the dead. I closed my eyes and bent my head forward.

Goosebumps crawled up my skin as his strong accent came out of his cold lips.

"Dear God, please forgive me for the sins that I have committed in this new life that I have been given. Please, allow me to overcome the hunger that burns within me.

"I uh thank thee for this beautiful day. Thank you for the new company and please allow her to enjoy her stay. I love thee for the plan that ye have for me and Maggy. Amen."

I looked up and saw a tear coming down the Count's face. He abruptly stood and wiped away the tear. "Well, goodnight, I will have breakfast ready for you in the morning when you wake."

"Goodnight, Alexandru." I said.

He walked out of the room and shut the door. I climbed into bed and thought about his prayer.