Cabin Confessions

After piano lessons with Alexandru, I couldn't stand it any longer and asked him if we could go outside and play in the snow.

I wish I hadn't. I wish today never happened. Why couldn't I have just stayed in bed? Why couldn't Alexandru and I just keep practicing piano? I should have never gotten as close as I did to Lukas.

Alexandru looked a bit surprised by my question. His face made me wonder if I could ever be someone as important as the women in his memories. Am I too childish?

Everyone calls him an old man and now I know why. Does he not care for playing around? He did take me to the beach on the night of my parents' funeral. Why would playing in the snow be any different than playing in the ocean? I have developed feelings for him but maybe he won't return them because he thinks I'm too infantile.

"It's better than being cooped up in this castle," I admitted. Alexandru was taken back by my statement.

"I didn't realize how bored you were," he said.

"No," I tried to say, "it's not that at all. It's just," I looked out of the large windows in the ballroom and sighed at the beauty of the woods. "How can anyone pass a day like this inside?" Alexandru looked outside the window.

"Fine," He said with a submitting tone. "But if you catch a cold," he warned as he got up from the piano bench. "I won't heal you and I will make you realize your mistake when you're sitting in front of a fire with a blanket around you constantly sneezing."

For a second I wondered if Alexandru was hiding the fact he didn't want to go out and have fun. Why must he always be so uptight? But the first thought that had popped in my head was that Alexandru cared about me, and was testing me because he liked me.

I jumped up in front of the piano bench and ran out of the ballroom. I quickly got dressed into some thick jeans and pulled a large winter coat over the sweater I was wearing. I quickly went into Lukas's room and told him Alexandru and I were going outside. He had been reading a book before jumping out of bed and asking to join us.

I began building a snowman in the driveway when I felt something soft yet hard hit the back of my neck. I turned and found that Lukas had something else in mind. Alexandru cheated and quickly built a fort before loading up on ammo and destroying Lukas and I. I was getting cold and it was getting dark only after thirty minutes. I paused and smiled at the two silly boys in front of me. I was breathing hard and neither of the boys were. For a moment a scary thought entered my mind. I can't keep up, and I won't ever be able to. I'm only human.

The vampire whipped his head to the side dodging one of Lukas's snowballs. But his face showed concern and had a look of trying to concentrate. Then Lukas stopped and looked in the same direction that the count was.

"Luke, get Maggy out of here," Lukas didn't hesitate to obey the vampire. He made his way towards me and took my arm.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Vampires," was all Lukas had to say to notify me that he meant the American ones that had brought his and my lives together.

I still looked back as Lukas led me into the woods. I didn't know why he didn't just take me to the castle but looking at him affirmed to me that he had a safe destination that Alexandru must have shown him. Looking back at the Count I watched as he stood up and disappeared in a flash. He was far gone.

There was a small cabin in the woods that Lukas led us into. "This cabin has a witch's spell on it," Lukas said once inside. "Vampires can't smell it or come inside."

"That's helpful," I said a little out of breath. I let out a shiver and Lukas grabbed blankets.

"I'll make some hot chocolate for you." I sat down in a chair by a cold fireplace and studied my surroundings.