Needed and Loved

Alexandru slipped the knife back into the wooden crate and I just gave a sad look.

"I apologize that you have to keep seeing recurring moments from my past." I just shrugged. "I'll try and get it figured out on why you out of everyone I've ever met keep seeing them," I kept my eyes on the weapons inside the box until they were covered by the lid that Alexandru slipped back on. Suddenly the box began to levitate from off the ground with a tint of purple wisps floating around it. I looked over at Alexandru who had his hand in the air at the level of his chest. He smiled and said, "Go and enjoy your food." I gave a shy smile then went back to the kitchen.

I finished my food and decided to go out to the graveyard and see my parents.

Alexandru had their stones engraved with their names and lifespans. I knelt down in the freshly dug up dirt not caring that it was ruining my dress and shoes. I allowed my hands to rest in my lap as I reread their names over and over again.

Why did this all happen to me? Am I being punished by God for something? I've been a good person, haven't I?

I looked behind me at the dark, gloomy castle and made a sad smile. Alexandru. Maybe our paths needed to cross. He needs me. And I think he knows that. He's been so kind to me and generous. He hasn't shown any sign of resentment. He acts like an uncle to me.

I haven't told him this and I don't know if he knows, but I've been keeping a journal every single day. Just in case he decides to erase my memory. I have ink to look back on. Reliable ink.

I studied my parents' graves and tried conjuring up tears. But my face just stared blankly at the stones.

I got up and wiped at the dirt on my dress. I then went back inside to get out of my funeral clothes and into something a little more comfortable.

I decided to take a shower.

The shower was made of stone and tile. Elaborate designs were made up the walls and the water was very warm. The shower had a curtain to cover the person showering, and there was no tub.

Strange how Alexandru can install running water and cooking stoves but ignore the fact that he still uses candles to get around. Then it hit me.

I stood in the shower allowing the warm water to flow over my small curves and stick my hair to my skin. I looked down and wiggled my toes. Alexandru has been alone all this time. He has night vision. Of course, he wouldn't install electricity, he doesn't need it. He's been living in the dark.

I climbed out of the shower and wrapped a towel around myself. I wiped at some of the steam on the glass mirror and began checking myself out. I leaned forward and messed with my face until I heard Alexandru's voice coming closer.

"Maggy, I need to ask you—" I whipped around and Alexandru suddenly realized his mistake. He nonchalantly walked up too fast to notice me still in my towel. The count's cheeks turned red and so did mine. "I am so terribly sorry!" The vampire ran out of the room in a flash.

A chill then went up my spine as I wondered when Alexandru decided to freeze time.

I tried to erase that thought from my mind and just get dressed.

I wore loose jeans and a plain white sweater. I grabbed one of the books I had taken from the library and went just there. I liked reading in the library. It was the coziest room in this gloomy castle.

It was an hour into reading when I realized Andrew was trying to tell me something before he noticed I was naked. What was he going to say?

I looked at the time on an old grandfather clock and raised my eyebrows at how long I'd been reading. I got up and decided to go find the count.

I literally looked all over for him and couldn't find the guy. I even took up the courage to go into his dark lair. But his coffin lid was open and he wasn't in it.

I walked up closer to the box he slept in and peeled inside. It was shaped like the typical Dracula coffin with six sides and was all black. Red velvet lined the sides of it. It looked really comfortable for some reason.

I decided to leave and carry on my search for Alexandru. I then remembered I hadn't checked the ballroom, but that was because I hadn't heard any music coming from it.

I creaked open one of the large doors and walked in. There was no Count at the piano keys. And the sun was shining very brightly through the windows. I decided to look somewhere else until I found in one of the dark corners of the room the couch that the Count had first laid me on when I had fainted. This time he was sleeping.

I was still holding onto the door as I studied the vampire.

He's in his most vulnerable state. He confessed when I was interviewing a month ago that when a vampire sleeps he sleeps. He is out—dead. It is the best time for a hunter to kill them. That is why they sleep in coffins. I then remembered a lock being on the inside of Alexandru's coffin.

He was so still. Not even breathing. He looked dead, but he looked so relaxed as he had one knee hiked up and the other straight on the cushion. One arm was at his side as his other hand was lightly touching the floor. The arm of the sofa supported the boney cheek of his.

I crept up and gently moved loose hair from his eyes. He can't feel my touch. He won't know that I was here. Getting back from the beach Alexandru had cleaned up all except his hair. He had left that wild. I liked it wild. He looked younger and less uptight.

I ended up stroking his hair back while sitting on what little room there was on the couch. I liked the feeling of his hair. It was so dark. Not a single gray hair. His skin was freezing and his face was so pale.

He is vulnerable. I could kill him here and now. This is the only way to kill him, while he's already dead. How ironic. A natural vampire needs to be dead to be killed. Why is that?

"Thank you," I said out loud. I thank him every day but for some reason with him not listening and me seeing him in such an innocent state is allowing me to truly let out what my heart desires.

I was at first scared to be living with an older man. That fear increased when I found out he was a vampire. Why then, has it changed to gratitude? How do I know he won't rape me, devour me, make me a pet? His past. He's seen it all. He just wants to relax for once.

I looked around the grand ballroom and realized once more, that Alexandru was a lonely prince who just wants to feel needed and loved.