A Kiss on the Forehead

I shivered in my bed and couldn't find any sleep with the wind going on outside. I missed my queen sized bed in the castle and the thick walls that usually blocked out all outside noises. It was also almost always warm in the castle. The only extra clothes in the hideaway-cabin were sweats. Oversized sweats. I kept my arms close to my bare skin and didn't bother putting them through the giant sleeves. Lukas's snores echoed off the walls and I found it very annoying.

I sat up and held a pillow to my chest after putting my arms into my sleeves. I looked out the window and became mesmerized by the snow blowing outside.

Suddenly, I felt a small whiff of wind and found that Alexandru had snuck inside using his freezing powers. I jumped slightly but watched him make his way to the fireplace and start up a fire immediately.

"Alexandru," I croaked into the dark that was now pushed back into the shadows of the room due to the flames.

The Count smiled and came over to my bedside. "Maggy," he said in his soft vampirish voice that was made for the night. He sat on my bed and I blushed. "I should have told Lukas that vampires can't even see, hear, or smell the cabin. The smoke from the chimney won't affect anything. I hope you sleep warm from now on." I smiled. I looked over at the digital clock on the nightstand beside my bed and found that it was ten in the afternoon.

I gave Alexandru a confused look as I asked, "Why is it so dark out?"
He responded, "The windows are tinted to an extent so that I may walk about the cabin during daytime."

"Where will you sleep?"

"I don't sleep in times like this."

"How were you able to find the cabin?"

"Well, I am the one who cast the spell." He gave me a stupid, mischievous grin and I finally understood Octavian's words explaining to me how Alexandru knew actual magic as well, besides his vampire abilities.

"What do you mean 'in times like this'?"

"Vampires are looking for Octavian. They've decided to bother me now."

"Have you had to deal with this before?"

Alexandru put his hands between his legs as he looked up at the ceiling in thought. "I guess ... . Was it 1942? Or 1842? No, both. Maybe 1569?" He mumbled. He looked back at me and smiled. He leaned down and kissed my forehead as he said, "You should get some sleep," he smiled but I didn't smile back. I could only think of the Count actually liking me as Lukas had claimed. The vampire moved away some of my loose hair. I felt the heat rise in my cheeks but I didn't know how to respond.

"When can we go back?" I asked. "Back home," something changed in the vampire's composure. It seemed that I'd brightened up his day in some way. His hand was still on the side of my face from moving my hair earlier.

"Tomorrow," I closed my eyes and leaned into the palm of his hand. I felt his thumb caress my cheek then quickly withdraw his hand all together. I opened my eyes and the Count was on the other side of the room fixing the fire. I snuggled up, and closed my eyes.

In the night, Lukas and I followed Alexandru back to the castle.